Wednesday, June 17, 2009

hello... and welcome to my world

I bought my Nikon D90 mostly for it's picture taking capabilities, but I also loved the fact that it could shoot video. How fun to be able to catch funny little clips of the kids, especially since the last thing on our video camera may be the girls taking their first steps?

So how is it working out? Well, I am shooting pictures mostly in RAW, often in full manual and occasionally even with a kick ass $1700 lens. But my video of Abby's preschool graduation? All people's feet followed by quick glimpses of the kids before the camera clicks off.

Time to break out that camera manual and learn the difference between the record and ready to record lights.

I will spare you the graduation video, but here is today's attempt at some footage of the girls and I hiking at World's End. Abby is wet from an incident in the marsh and is insisting on walking with her boots full of water to keep a scrape on her leg wet. I could try to explain further, but it would not really make any more sense...




So I am guessing video can only be shot horizontally? Even so, it is somehow a pretty good representation of my everyday.

And since I am posting, I thought I would also cover all the other topics I have been meaning to blog about but have not found the time to blog about.

Claire had a playdate. Her first real play date, scheduled especially for her with a friend her age and not simply the younger sibling of her sister's friend. This is a milestone that my firstborn reached at about four weeks of age, but my second born had to loudly demand at age three. She was very excited waiting for her friend to arrive, then hid behind the chair and meowed like a cat when her friend actually arrived. I would say it went well.

Abby's hair. It has gone from long to cute little bob. She was completely against getting any sort of hair cut at all until her friend happened to be getting her hair cut and Abby happened to have a chance to go along. I am loving it. So is she. Daddy liked it better long, but he is adjusting.

Abby's preschool graduation. She looked cute. She sang cute songs that I failed to capture on video. She was named the class writer. Come September she is off to Kindergarten. She is excited and I honestly think she is more than ready and will do great.


preschool graduate



Claire's crib. It is gone. She is currently sleeping in her brand new big girl bed. I am a little anxious. And a little sad that after six years, our nursery is no more.


so big, so little



They are growing up so fast, these crazy kids.

7 comments:

  1. Love the haircut! I firmly believe that until these girls of mine can brush and take care of their own hair, they're going to have chin length bobs. Also love Claire's big girl bed! Charlotte's still in the toddler bed with the crib mattress on it - we'll graduate to a REAL big girl bed once the potty training is a success.

    Which should be when she's about 6 or so. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like me. I assume I can figure out record without a manual. Ha...not so much.

    And, Claire in her big girl bed? Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the video and for the record i do that all the stinking time!!

    and the haircut?? total cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I love the hair and the video. It is so cool to see and hear you all in action.

    We just took down our crib too....so for the first time in 8 years - no nursery....so sad! Kallie, however is turning 4 next week. Yeah, I hung on as long as I could!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Abby's new 'do. And it's a great summer cut! I

    I like being able to take little videos with my camera too. And lately, that's the only way I take any video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of Abby is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool, I did not know the D90 took video. Mine does not and I miss that about a camera.

    Abby's hair looks so great and Claire must love her new bed!

    Great video!

    ReplyDelete