Saturday, February 14, 2009

my valentine

Last night I lay down on the couch, exhausted after a long day and several long nights.

A few minutes later, my husband came down stairs and started doing the dishes.

"Just leave them there and I will do them in the morning", I said

"We are a team," he replied

"Yes, but the kitchen is my thing and I will feel guilty laying here if you are doing dishes." After all, he gets up even earlier than I do and works all day.

"We are a team," he replied firmly, loading up the dishwasher and washing out the pans.

The truth is, my husband does the majority of the cleaning in this house. I pick up after the kids and do the occasional vacuuming, but he is the one who does the real cleaning. And the lawn mowing and snow blowing and garbage collecting and the fixing of broken things. He makes breakfast on Saturday morning and often dinner on Saturday night. Oh, and he is also the financial provider.

I do the majority of the cooking and the child care, the actual paying of the bills, the laundry, the shopping, the planning, the scheduling, the organizing of the house and the kid's activities.

Hum, how is it that my list is looking shorter than his?

But the bottom line is we are a team. I sleep in on Saturday, he sleeps in on Sunday. I put one girl to bed, he puts the other to bed. This is how our marriage works. This is how we survive a life filled with too many messes, not enough time, not enough sleep and two always beautiful but often infuriating little girls.

And while I cherish the memory of the romantic dinners, frequent trips and expensive presents that filled our pre kid days together, I can not imagine anything more perfect for me now than this life.

8 comments:

  1. What a great post! Sounds like you guys have it worked out perfectly. (And your husband sounds like a real gem!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do sound like the perfect team.

    I've read before that you sleep in on Saturdays and I'm soooooooo envious - I might have to institute that rule at our house one day soon :-)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky. We do things pretty similarly around here...except I go to work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely a partnership! And it sounds like you two have a wonderful one! Happy belated Valentine's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great guy! He does dishes?? Seriously??? I never knew such a guy existed....at least they don't in my little world....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you. Nothing like a good team. And stop comparing lists. :)

    ReplyDelete