Tuesday, February 17, 2009

the test

My baby girl, my youngest child, my last child has been spoiled.

She nursed until close to her second birthday.

I never had the heart to let her cry at night.

I choose not to fight battles with her that I would have fought with her older sister.

When I get involved in sibling disputes, it is almost always take her side.

"Share with your little sister."

"Don't trick your little sister."

All her life, I have coddled her, kissed her and held her close. I have savored every moment of the babyhood of my last baby.

But with two months to go until her third birthday, my baby girl is certainly no longer a baby. She is a feisty toddler. A toddler that is testing. A crayon drawing on the wall. A toy thrown across the room. A slap with her tiny hand followed by a mischievous glance up at me to see what I am going to do. She knows. She knows exactly what she is doing and she knows it is bad.

What else can I do? The time has come to really and truly start disciplining Claire. The sweet, beautiful girl that I may spoil, but don't want to be spoiled.

Sorry, baby.

'

22 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH this sounds JUST like my house!!
    They KNOW, they KNOW they are being bad and want to see how far you can be pushed!!
    Crayong on the wall-yep got that too! Throwing things, check. Oh and now the little smartie pants has learned how to blame things on other people...yep, and we know she did it. Very spoiled!!
    Im feelin your pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; the most definitely know when they are doing something wrong. Big hugs. You will get through this! And I believe you can spoil a child without them becoming spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, that's tough. Look at that face! Good luck and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Charlotte turns 3 on April 2nd and we have recently instituted the time-out step and also "quiet time" in her own bedroom for serious fresh-ness. Right thee with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Look at that face. How can a person be so perfect at looking guilty and inflicting guilt on YOU at the exact same time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your youngest sounds a lot like my youngest, exept mine just turned seven. She's mastered being cute and adorable to our faces, then will sneak around tormenting her older sister when we're not looking. Whethere they're spoiled or not, youngest kids learn how to work the system early on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard isn't it? I know the feeling. Izzy can be a hand full but she is my little girl. I think the transition from two and half to three was a big one. Not only was Izzy growing up and learning at the speed of light, but she was coming into her own. She knows what she can get away with and I've been trying to change it up a bit.

    I love this capture of Claire. Her little pouty face and sweet skin tone is amazing. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard to discipline sometimes, but definitely worth it. ;)
    She is cute even when she's pouting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no . . . look at her face!! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I KNOW!!!! I used to judge people who were soft on their littlest kids, but I find I do the same thing! And Kallie, at 3 1/2, can be quite the stinker. I am trying to get tougher...it is hard!

    I love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three is definitely the age we had to crack down on our second. Three has been the worst age so far for him, his "three" is making two look like it was nothing. We had marker (permanent) on the wall here, so I can feel your pain. And it does make it harder when they're so darn cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be sending you good thoughts as you travel the discipline road with her. It will be okay.....and she will appreciate your guidance.

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad it's your job and not mine!

    with that sweet face i am pretty sure i would give in every single time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess it has to happen sometime. Love her expression! It's so appropriate for this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Caroline is a spoiled tester too. She will be three in July. I hope the 3's are better than the 2's because the 2's have sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so much harder with the second one, I think. My first is a tester and I can't wait to see what the rest of year two brings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that look on her face is priceless! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, so heartfelt... I only have one, but totally understand. It's not fun at all, but so necessary. Good luck!! That face is a hard one to take.

    :)
    ~Tabitha~

    freshmommyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. How can you possibly say no to that face? Adorable! But discipline/structure means love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We all spoil our babies just a bit. My oldest, who is almost 12, is aware enough of what's going on to call me on it all the time!

    Your baby is so cute! And that expression is just priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the expression on her face...one I have seen MANY times! haha :) Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am with you on this one... I am on my 3rd (and last) and I can already feel myself spoiling her. She is 7 months and I sometimes spend all day with her in my arms because I know she will be the last baby. I will struggle as she grows, with not spoiling her!

    ReplyDelete