Thursday, September 24, 2009

advice for victums of hand me downs, from Claire, age 3

Has this ever happened to you?

You walk out your front door in a new dress chosen from your closet. The eight year old across the street exclaims "Aw, you look so cute. I remember that dress!" Her five year old sister chimes in "Me too!"

Apparently in addition to your sister's hand me downs your mother is also dressing you in the neighbors hand me downs. Your "new" dress is third hand!

You hold your head high because, well, you are cute and you just adore your eight year old neighbor, but still, something has to be done.

Well, I am hear to tell you how to get a brand new wardrobe on a three year old budget!

Do you like the color pink? Puppies? Cars perhaps? Then why wear anything else?

Personally, I am a big fan of cats, so I put my foot down. From now on, only cat clothes.

It all started when mommy bought me a couple of shirts with cats. They were my absolute favorites so on vacation this summer mommy bought me a dress with a cat on it and some really cute cat socks.

Then my Oma took Abby back to school shopping and even though all I really needed was a pair of pants or two, she bought me everything in Gymboree with a cat on it, including a cat pocket book, cat tights, a cat skirt, cat underwear, a cat nightgown and cat knee high socks. I placed my hands firmly on my hips and declared only cat clothes when ever any one held up a non cat item for my review.

Now my mom is getting calls like this "Hi Beth, it's mom. I am at Target and I found a orange Hello Kitty shirt with a cat and a moon. Does Claire have it yet? No? Okay, I am buying it and will bring it by for her tomorrow."

Second children with dotting grandmas and mom's who love a shopping mission, you don't have to settle for hand me downs! Simply put your foot down and make your demands known.

And soon, you too will have a closet like this:

claire's closet
that would be nine cat shirts for anyone who is counting, plus the one I am wearing at preschool as my nutty mom takes pictures of my closet

claire's closet
cat socks, seven pairs, four of which arrived yesterday in the mail because they are only available from Gymboree online-- my mom really goes the extra mile

claire's closet
and of course pajamas, eight pairs of cat pajamas

All brand spanking new. And just wait until I show you my room!!

xoxo
Claire

2 comments: