Her thoughts on using the potty? "I'll use it on Sunday" or if you informed her is was in fact Sunday "I meant Saturday". Pretty smart, that kid.
"Doesn't she have to be potty trained to start preschool in the fall?", my husband asked.
"She will do it when she is ready" I said. "I am not going to worry about it until July."
July came and went. We were busy. We went on vacation. Claire flat out refused to so much as go near the potty.
August came. We were busy. We went on vacation. Once back home, I reluctantly instituted mandatory potty time. Meaning she had to sit on the potty until the timer beeped.
Reluctantly, she sat. And held it. Every. Single. Time. Not so much as one drop went into that potty despite offers of candy, stars on a chart, fancy big girl underwear, a new toy cat and finally the offer of a real live kitten (which should have been a huge deal, given her obsession with all things cat).
Then yesterday, out of the blue she decided.
"Mama, I want to wear my underwear. I am a big girl. I am going to give my diapers to baby Will."
Just like that.
The underwear went on and we headed outside, potty in tow. And for the last two days she has been excitedly going all by her own self when she needs to go.
I am so proud of my big girl!
And just like that, I can change that box on the preschool questionnaire from "attempted" to "recently completed". With four days to spare. Phew.
On the day she decided to use the potty, sans diaper, heading off to share her treats.


Thank Goodness and great job Claire!! : )
ReplyDeleteThat was a close one. So glad it worked out and she did it all on her own.
ReplyDeleteWe're still waiting for the naptime and bed time diapers to be dry.
I think that waiting until they decide to be ready is the best way.... Pooky is newly trained now too, and he will be 3 soon. Good job! :)
ReplyDelete