Wednesday, February 27, 2008

getting out of the house

How going to the supermarket 5 miles from my house takes all morning:

9:00 bring kids upstairs; turn on Curious George

9:03 ask Abby to brush her hair; she screams and ducks under a blanket

9:05 attempt escape to bathroom to brush teeth and put in contact lenses; despite interesting TV show Claire follows me in and walks out with a handful of tampons

9:10 vaguely register that a tampon parade is now underway; take opportunity to put on some make-up and get dressed

9:15 tell Abby she really needs to brush her hair; I have become invisible

9:25 find Claire under bed and wrangle her into clothes

9:30 attempt to brush Abby's hair; get a one brush in before she runs off screaming

9:35 get out clothes for Abby

9:45 convince Abby that it is too cold out to wear a bathing suit; settle on bathing suit under clothes; give up on brushing hair and tie the whole mess back in a ponytail

9:50 head downstairs to get coats and shoes; Abby wants to bring her giraffe in the car; Claire wants to bring a piece of her long lost crib mobile; I say yes to both

9:55 Claire finds her boots and brings them over; Abby finds her clogs and in an increasingly agitated voice, repeatedly asks 'Is this the right foot' until I say yes; she then calmly puts them on

10:00 get out coats, Claire runs away

10:05 get in car; negotiate truce regarding how to hang crib mobile piece in the car

10:10 get kids strapped in car; Abby: "Mommy, I'm hungry" Claire: "Me too! Me too!"

10:15 back in the car with bags of crackers

10:20 arrive at market

Why bother at all? Because the alternative is driving each other bat shit at home as I count the minutes until nap time.

Spring time, please come soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! If you slightly altered a few minor details, this could be my house on any given morning!

    Is this the right way Mommy? Is this the right way Mommy? I get that over and over until I say yes. It's the same routine every. single. morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS!!
    Were we separated at birth? Did we read the same parenting books? Or not ready
    the s0ame books? You know why my typing is so bad? My nineteen month old is in my lap, "helping" me type. It's crazy, I tell ya.
    Love your blog, love your writing.
    found you from Miracle Monday.

    ReplyDelete