Monday, February 11, 2008

musings on motherhood

On Saturday night I had a few too many martinis, so on Sunday my foggy brain was thrilled to find an all day marathon of one of my favorite TV shows, Jon & Kate plus 8. If you are not familiar with this show, it features a couple, their three year old sextuplets and their seven year old twins. As you can imagine kids are constantly whining or fighting about something. Jon and Kate themselves are also often bickering about something. My husband does not see why anyone in their right mind would want to watch this show. After all we have our own whiny kids and our own shit to bicker about. He makes an excellent point.

Yet I continue to watch. Yesterday I watched for hours. The show is in its fourth season so someone else must be watching too. What is it about motherhood that compels us to spend what precious little kid free time we have writing about our kids or reading about other peoples kids or watching other peoples kids on TV? At times I want desperately to escape my mommy self but I am not sure I know how. I guess I just need constant reinforcement that other people are dealing with the same shit, or more in the case of dear Jon and Kate. If they can do it, surely I can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment