Thursday, December 4, 2008

princess for a day

Five calendars, two photo books, seventy five Christmas cards (when exactly did my Christmas card list get so long?). Christmas parties, Christmas craft time, Christmas story time, a Christmas tree lighting.

The holiday season is in full swing here. And did I mention the baby is no longer napping? And my husband and I celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary? My blog reader and my DVR are overflowing.

But I did manage to squeeze in a spur of the moment day trip with the girls this week. Some of my best moments as a mother involve spontaneous little adventures, days when the weather and my energy and their moods are all just right. Monday was one of those days.

After days of rain, it was suddenly sunny and 60 degrees. 60 degrees! In December! In New England! So we were off to Newport see a fancy castle all decorated for Christmas, otherwise known as Marble House.

My two little princesses were totally and completely in awe.Their eyes lit up as soon as the house came into view. It had a gate, just like Cinderella's castle!! And a grand curving driveway, to drive up in your carriage!






Inside we found princess stairs.




"Oh, Claire, we have to walk up like princesses" Abby announced.

So up they went with skirts in hand and heads held high, just like real princesses.

Then it was on to the real princess bedroom. Abby just stood for several minutes, eyes as wide as saucers, taking in every detail. The the ornate Louis XIV furniture. The garlands, nymphs, and cherubs. The silk covered walls. Goddess Athena painted on the ceiling. I could see the wheels turning in her head, thinking of ways she could make her room more like this one, as she pointed out each of these details.

Next the girls ran and played on the beautiful lawn overlooking the ocean and explored the tea house where Alva Vanderbilt once hosted rallies for women's suffrage. They even allowed me to get a picture of them together, which will appearing on this years Christmas card.



Our day continued with a stop to admire the scenery at Brenton Point State Park, a shared pizza for dinner, a shared hot fudge sundae for dessert and a visit to my aunt's house in Jamestown.

A perfect day that ended with two exhausted girls sleeping soundly in the backseat of the car in their cozy pajamas.

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds really cool. My little Emma would be SO jealous. I really like that first shot, your daughter and her red dress are such a great contrast to the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...Gracie would be green all over if she saw this post!! What a perfect place to take your little princesses!!!

    I love the last shot. You always catch your girls together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great day - my christmas letters are waiting to be addressed and signed - argh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a wonderful place. I wanna go lol. Your daughters are so pretty :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so jealous!
    What a beautiful place to visit...Im in awe!
    Your pictures are gorgeous, as usual.
    And the Christmas card one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I loved this PSF! We have family over that way and I have it on my list now to visit that house! Amazing!

    Love the photo for the card too! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that the Queen and her two little princesses had a good day together. Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful images and a great story to go along with it. Your girls are just darling. I know, does that sound kind of cheesy? But they are! Glad to have found your site through PSF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. not sure if you know this but when hubby and i lived in nyc, newport was one of our favorite weekend getaways.

    jealous doesn't even begin to describe my feelings :)

    looks like a magical day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...beautiful pics!

    Nice PhotoStory Friday!!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day and great photos to go with it! You got the perfect Christmas card picture!!! Glad the girls liked the mansion, mine were the same way at the Breakers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, sounds like a wonderful day!! I just love spontaneous adventures. That place looks gorgeous and so do your girls... great photos! So lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures! Your girls are gorgeous! And the first picture with your little one in front of the mansion is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful! You are so lucky! And your girls? Adorable as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun!! What a great trip for you guys to take for the day. And are you kidding me with those ADORABLE red dresses? I could eat those two girls up they are so cute. Gorgeous photos, I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome day! Love the C-mas card picture...beautiful scenery and beautiful girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that sounds WONDERFUL!!!

    and the pics are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woohoo!!! I love that shot for your Christmas card :) I know you've been trying to snap one for days now.

    What a fun trip! I've heard wonderful things about the mansions in RI. The Marble house looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this post! Where to begin? There's so much! I'm like you; I love spontaneous trips with my little ones (well, some aren't so little anymore). Also, I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday about how the beautiful mansions of Newport are decorated for the season and we should go see them. Now I really want to go! Lastly, I love your photos! So beautiful. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete