Monday, December 1, 2008

let the christmas season begin

The malls of America may have decided that the Christmas season begins in August, but for this family it begins the day after Thanksgiving with the selection of a Christmas tree.

Excitement was high as we piled in the wagon, cranked up the Christmas tunes and headed to our local tree farm in search of that perfect tree.

Each tree was carefully evaluated for size, shape and prickliness (apparently prickliness is an important factor for 2 and 4 year olds).



Finally a rather cute, non-prickly tree was found and the family was forced to pose in front of it.



Then the tree was brutally cut down (sniff, sniff).




Then we had hot cider and candy canes (yay!).




Then it was back home to decorate our little tree.

This entailed the four year old lovingly hanging each ornament at a height of about four feet all the way around the tree while the two year old wandered off unsupervised and slammed her forehead into the coffee table.

Let the Christmas Season begin!

14 comments:

  1. Aww...adorable.
    dont you just love when the littel ones hang the ornaments? At least the bottom is done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We almost did the same thing yesterday, but I got worried about the needles dropping too soon, so I told the kids we would do it next weekend (grandma and grandpa will be visiting so they can come with us). You know you have to post pictures of the tree all decorated now, to inspire the rest of us :-)

    Lately we always have one unsupervised kid who seems to get hurt . . . it's impossible to watch them every single second. I love the ornaments on the bottom, Peter did that last year and he got so offended when I tried to move them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, looks like so much fun!! Oh and I just had to laugh at the last couple paragraphs, haha. Sorry, hope the little one is all better and "Let the Christmas Season begin!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tree! We put out tree up on Friday as well, however I am still fluffing it and we have yet to actually decorate it. LOL! All in good time!

    The photos are great! The girls are so pretty and it looks like a great family tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect tree selection/setting up day! Well except for the run-in with the coffee table... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picking of the tree! So much fun!
    Hope the little one didn't damage her head or the coffee table. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day! I love tree-shopping the day after Thanksgiving every year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh her poor little head :(

    the tree looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, that sounds eerily similar to our tree decorating experience yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! The tree looks perfect :) Sorry to hear about the little one's head! I hope she's feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candy canes and cider and a fresh tree! Christmas is here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the season is moving along well... and accident free!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful memory and a great start to the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I just love searching for a tree. It's so much fun! You chose a lovely tree. Your girls look like they had a ball :)

    ReplyDelete