...three and five... three and five...
Three and five seems like a lifetime away when you are chasing a two year old as you bounce a cranky newborn, all on five hours per night of sleep. Three and five is hard to imagine when getting yourself, a constantly nursing, sleeping or pooping newborn and a defiant, potty training two year old out of the house on time for a ballet class is a monumental accomplishment. Three and five is hard to imagine when just making it to the end of the day is a monumental accomplishment.
And yet...
Abby is now five. Next month Claire turns three.
Three and five.
Today my mother suggested we take the girls to the zoo and the park, so I tossed an extra diaper in my camera bag and off we went.
No stroller. No toys. No bottles. No special food. No extra outfits. No burp cloths. No sippy cups.
But really, what is most notable about this trip is that nothing notable happened. No meltdowns. No drama. Nothing blogable at all really.
Just a couple of little girls at the zoo.
It was... easy.
We arrived.
We laughed at silly monkeys and stinky elephants.
At lunch time, each girl happily sat down and ate a Zoo kids meal, agreeing to a trade when one wanted more fries and the other wanted more nuggets.
As we passed by the gift shop, I asked the girls if they wanted to each pick one thing to buy with their Easter money. Abby picked goo with a giraffe in it. Claire picked a cat. We paid. No drama. No meltdowns.
We saw some more animals.
We rode the carousel.
Played on the playground.
Threw rocks in the Japanese Garden.
No drama. No meltdowns.
A day of fun that was actually fun.
Sure having grandma along helped, but still... we have come a long, long way since those early days.
I would say three and five is looking pretty good.
from right to left: Grandma, Claire pouting (she no longer smiles for pictures, she pouts),
Abby showing off her goo



Wow, congrats! Glad your outing was a no nonsense success! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect day. I'm liking three and five too - it is definitely possible to do a variety of things with the boys that we can't take the baby to. We sometimes leave the baby with grandma and head out for an afternoon with the boys.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos - what a great day. My three year old went through a pouting phase too - I have six months of pictures with him not smiling :).
It will get even easier still as they get older. Now I deal with attitudes and them fighting, but the stuff you are describing, yeah, that definitely is nice :) Glad you had such a great day!
ReplyDeleteClaire, Claire, Clarie... so cute! She no longer smiles, she pouts for pictures. My daughter, Bella, no longer smiles either, but growls at the camera when she sees that I will be taking a picture of her!
ReplyDeleteGlad 3 & 5 seem to be the magic numbers for you!
Oh I cannot wait for three and five..one more year..ONE MORE YEAR..
ReplyDeleteThis was a really sweet post..
What a fun day! Glad you finally reached the "magic number" ages where life is more streamlined and so much easier. Too cute that Clare doesn't want to smile...oh kids and their phases!
ReplyDeleteI have two boys, one is 2 1/2 and one is 7...does that count? NO! They fight like cats and dogs and I thought it would be easier but it's not. I'm pulling my hair out most of the time...but traveling is sooo much easier. No diapers, no diaper bag, bottles etc...your right about that! Now if I could wave my magic wand and make them get along that would be a perfect day!
ReplyDeletehigh fives for three and five!!
ReplyDeletesounds like a wonderful day...here's to many, many more :)
I love Abby's zoo appropriate leggings! : )
ReplyDeleteThree and Five does sound good. Glad you had a great trip to the zoo.
Four and Six is even better! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful day!
Aww. That's fabulous! Yay for three and five!
ReplyDeleteOf course my boys didn't have the terrible twos. They had terrible threes. ;)
ooohhh, we will be at 3 and 5 by the end of this year. Sounds fabulous. It is already a lot easier than it used to be, but I think I am ready for 3 and 5. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou have a carousel at your zoo? Way to go!
ReplyDeleteSo, I just have to wait 2.5 more years? Oh, so close yet so far!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds fabulous, though.
awesome!
ReplyDeleteoh dear, the more I read these posts, the more I start smiling at random people's kids... now today I'll wonder if any of the tots I see are three or five :)
So cute! My girls are 25 months apart... now 6 and 8. We do Disney, SeaWorld, shopping, and movies stroller-free! It rocks - trust me, it only gets better!
ReplyDeleteHello! Great post, and thank you for this. I can't wait until my boys reach '3 and 5'! Currently, they are 3 and a half and 15 months old. So there is still a lot of stuff to lug around and they two of them do not often play together as well as they will when the youngest is 3. I am looking forward to that! But at the same time, I love them at these precious age and don't want them to grow too fast, you know?
ReplyDeletei'm left cringing, since we sorta kinda planned to add a 0 when we had a 3 and a 5. that would upset things, wouldn't it? hm.
ReplyDelete