Tuesday, April 7, 2009

project 365, a year in review

So I did it. An entire year, 365 days, documented in pictures.



Did I miss some days? Absolutely. Several times throughout the year there were days when I just had absolutely no inspiration or desire to pick up the camera. Or I did, but the pictures were so boring or just plain bad that I could not bring myself to post them. Thus, my Project 365 began on March 5, 2008 and ended on April 5, 2009.

That said, doing this project absolutely inspired me and changed the way I take pictures. I have come to love documenting the little details of our day to day life. I got my first SLR camera in my twenties, and began taking pictures like mad when my first daughter was born, but generally I photographed occasions, with people posed and dressed nicely.

When you take a picture a day, you wind up with a lot of pictures of your kids dirty and/or in pajamas doing lots of ordinary everyday things. And strangely enough, these are the pictures that I have come to love the most. Yes, I will still do the posed shots from time to time. In fact, I have big plans to get some nice shots of my girls looking clean and pretty in their Easter dresses this week. But I also hope to continue documenting the day to day reality, because now, looking back, I am very glad to have these details documented in pictures.

I also learned soooo much about my camera over the course of the year. In fact, I recently bought a shiny new Nikon D90 and two new lenses, a 50mm 1.8 and a 18-200 mm, both of which I love.

Prior to starting this project, I shot most of my pictures in Auto or maybe, maybe, one of the program modes like Portrait or Sport. Spending so much time with my camera with no particular pressure to get a great shot of a special event really helped me to learn exactly how Shutter Speed, Aperature and ISO work together. Finally, I GET IT. I feel like I have made great progress as a photographer.

And editing? A year ago I had no idea how to use Photoshop and now I could not live with out it.

It is funny, but after a year, taking a picture a day has become a habit. Sunday was my last official day, but I just automatically think about what I am going to get a picture of each day. And I do hope to continue to document our day to day life, maybe not with a picture every single day, but pretty close.

So to anyone who is looking for a way to grow as a photographer I would definitely recommend that you start your own Project 365. Now. Just do it. You will not regret it.

14 comments:

  1. I am also trying to do that, though somedays I just don't find inspiration anywhere, Maybe once I have kids I will have better luck. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I am about 60 days from the end of this project, and I definitely agree it was worth it! I love looking back on our year in pictures. And you are right - little things get documented that I would otherwise forget about. I may be crazy, but I think I may continue on for year #2!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so SO impressed.

    By the way, I've been meaning to ask you, have you found any great tutorials online for PS?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hear you. And I certainly will. As soon as my camera comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! I am like you - I love the unposed, natural pictures so much more than the posed ones. And your girls always look so happy, I can't help but smile looking at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. first of all long distance high five for accomplishing this huge task :) seriously friend - yay for you!!

    and second of all some of your shots literally took my breath away - you have a true gift.

    and finally - the girls honey!! they have gotten sooo big!! they are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get too wound up about poses and need more of your type of pictures. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea. You are an awesome photographer. I honestly love the natural, unposed, messy face shots too. I have A LOT of those of my kiddos. :)

    You really have a gift for taking photos. And your girls are just too cute. Congrats on finishing the project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A huge congratulations! It looks and sounds like it has been an amazing journey. I've always enjoyed your photography and I loved looking through all of these. I recognize so many of the places around here (Children's museum, Swan boats). I just know these will become more and more of a treasure for your family in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I'm feeling inspired! Thank you for taking the time to share. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! Your post completely inspired me. I'm very well versed in PS, but I keep going back to the Auto Settings on my camera. I think I might commit to 365 in hopes that I have the same kind of inspiration to figure out all the other settings instead of just the hit or miss that I do in addition to the Auto. Great pictures BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't looked at the slideshow yet...but I will. :) I am so proud of you. YOur growth is wonderful. :) I'm thrilled that I remember when you started this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, just WOW... you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on meeting your goal! That's awesome!

    And, it really sounds beneficial to you!

    ReplyDelete