Sunday, April 5, 2009

so what am I, anyway?

This question seems to be coming up a lot recently. At the pediatrician's office, in the mist of questions about my husband's occupation and the status of our smoke detectors, the nurse caught me off guard with "And what do you do?".

On the Kindergarten registration form there was a nice neat little box next to my name for occupation.

And tonight after books, as Abby drifted off to sleep, she asked me a series of questions about our friends and neighbors. What does she do? What about her? What about her Dad? What about her Dad?

And then, "Mommy, what is your job?"

"Well," I answered, "My biggest job is being your Mommy, but sometimes people also pay me to take pictures because I am pretty good at taking pictures."

With that she gave me a big smile and drifted off to sleep.

So what am I, anyway?

A wife. A mother. An aspiring photographer. A perfectionist. A pretty damn good cook. And if you are my daughters new kindergarten teacher, I am a stay at home mom that is here for my daughter anytime she needs me.

I guess that form just needs a bigger box.

13 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. Sometimes there is that neat little box with "homemaker" written next to it, and sometimes there's now. lol! I guess we are all many different people at many different times. In other words, exactly what who we need to be at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhaha-I was just confronted w/this same question last Friday...I dont want to say nothing because I AM something. And then I wondered, when am I good enough to say Im a professional photographer...hahhaaaaaaaa, IN.MY.DREAMS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally needs a bigger box. I mean we could go on for pages as to "what we do" could we not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It def needs a bigger box.. But you hit the nail on the head that you're a mom that is there for her daughter.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny, I have been getting questions like that lately too. Maybe it's an age thing? Most of my friends work, so I sometimes get "why don't you work?" from the boys. That's right, I don't work. The food just shows up on the table courtesy of the meal fairy :-)

    I think your answer was perfect, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds exactly like my description! Sadly, too many just consider us "homemakers".

    ReplyDelete
  7. amen friend. we totally need a bigger box - the list goes on and on. and even though somedays this job title gives me a mini identity crisis, most days i know it's exactly what i am supposed to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always feel like a sham when I put "writer" in that box. It seems like a small word to encompass everything I am.

    A bigger box. indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. why yes....and I don't like being just a "my job title". I am much more than that as well.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agreed with you. Actually we need a Full Page to write our job titles... not just a box :-D

    In my country, mothers are labelled as 'Housewives' not 'Homemaker'. Looks like I'm not only 'married' to my other half and 3 year old kid but to the house as well :-|

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom's who can stay home is the most privilege people in the world! My mom was there every day when I returned from school, later university. It later was not a matter of I need her, it was a matter of my best friend waiting for me to come home. My biggest dream was to be a mom, stay home and just be a mom... nothing else (maybe a wife too I suppose). But the Lord didn't send me a husband, thus no children to stay home with :-(( But, I'm again (at 40 years) staying with my mom and dad.... and what more can I ask for... now I have a mom and dad waiting for me to come home from work. You ARE the "home" and the "house", even if they don't see that yet!!

    ReplyDelete