Monday, March 30, 2009

romance gone wrong

So we had it all planned out. The girls were sleeping over at my parents house. My husband and I were going to do some shopping, followed by dinner with friends and a comedy show.

Dinner was delicious. I heard the comedy show was quite funny, but I will never know because I managed to trip on a cement parking barrier in the parking lot and fall flat on my face in quite dramatic fashion, cutting my face, hand, knee and toe. Miraculously, my favorite shoes survived the ordeal without a scratch.

So much for romance.

My husband spent the rest of the night cleaning and bandaging my cuts and sitting up with me through not one but two old Ben Affleck movies just to make sure I did not have a head injury.

And our child free Sunday? I spent it on the couch with a bag of frozen fruit on my swollen eye while my husband did the grocery shopping and the laundry.

My mother sent over brownies and her homemade chicken casserole. The girls made adorable Get Well Mommy cards. My husband brought me flowers.

Today, I slept until ten o'clock and I am again resting on the couch as my sweet husband handles the school run, diaper changes, meals and activities for the day.

Forget romance, this is the closest I have come to actual time off in five years.

21 comments:

  1. Oh no!

    I am sorry for laughing out loud. I really am. I could use some time off too. But, not in that way. Hope you are feeling better soon Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats terrible but really nice for you at the same time... LOL... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tadaaaaaa, now you KNOW how to get a day off!!
    It might be painful but hey it works! lol
    Girl, Im so sorry that you got that banged up-wow!! Hope you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! I hope you feel better and I'm sorry your night was ruined! Isn't it terrible that we have to be sick or recovering to get time off?! I know how you feel - I am almost looking forward to my surgery to be forced to stay in bed for a while! LOL - Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe.. that sounds like something that would happen to me. I am constantly falling over things, sometimes even things that aren't there, and walking into things. I do think that it was romantic of your husband to do all those things for you, plus getting a day off sounds like a great weekend! Hope you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you feel better - I did that once in Vancouver - it was terrible - but I lost my gorgeous shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. is it sad that i am jealous??

    it is isn't it??

    hope you are enjoying your "time off" and hoping you heal quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to have major surgry done to get some time off, so I feel for you!

    Hope you heel up soon...I really just think you should milk it for as loooong as you can, when will you ever get the chance to just lay around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband sounds like a sweetheart! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! Your date night sounds like ours.

    I sure hope you heal up quickly...that hurts my face just to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, okay it's not funny that you fell but funny that you've got "time off"! I am so sorry to hear about your fall, but I am sure it could have been much worse. I could tell you a story or two.

    I sincerely hope you feel better very soon...but um, not before you are ready to get back to the hustle and bustle of life. Dare I say, take your time to heal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no! at least the shoes were okay.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm good with your strategy here except for the pain part. ; ) Hope you're feeling better and healing weel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Irony, what do you say? Glad you're doing alright though. No trips to the emergency room are good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you're not seriously injured! And also, thanks for revealing a very pathetic side to my personality by forcing me to admit that I am JEALOUS of you and want to be lying on the couch while husband dotes on ME!
    So sad. I am five years old, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A child free Sunday with a bag of frozen fruit... that is to funny! I bet the cards were adorable though.
    Hope you feel better soon! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I'm sorry your date night didn't work out.

    But yeah for time off...and a sweet husband to fill in for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, what a sweet hubby! I'm glad he is taking good care of you.
    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was in shock when I read this on your other site, so I'm less panicked now when I am reading this. You poor thing - I hate when dumb things like that happen, but at the same time, I often wonder if things DO happen for a reason and *maybe* you were due some down time.

    If I go throw myself - gently - in front of a bus and just get slightly injured, I expect the brownies and casserole from your mom and your husband can just mail the flowers :).

    Get well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahahaaaa!! All's well that ends well, right??

    ReplyDelete