Monday, March 16, 2009

toddlers and sushi

This morning, my two year old cried "I want to pick sushi over there" as I pushed our cart past the area of our local food store that contains the sushi station.

"Sorry, honey, but we are having pizza for lunch at Angela's house today" I replied, sure that this would excite her.

"Want. Sushi." she replied with a pouty lip as her tiny feet banged against the cart in protest.

Sushi used to be my lunch treat. Now it is our lunch treat.


sushi


I think it is safe to say, my kids are not picky eaters.

Parenting magazines are filled with elaborate ideas involving dips and animal shaped foods designed to get children to try new foods.

My own father's method was very simple. If you refused to eat something, he ate it. Right off your plate. His theory was you would think you were missing something good and next time you would give it a try. And either way, he was not going to let perfectly good food go to waste.

I remember eating some pretty terrible white fish, canned beets and canned green beans as a child but I really don't recall ever going to bed hungry.

Naturally, I go easier on my own children.

I never make separate meals for them, but I do tend to make meals with at least one vegetable I know they like and meats that are very tender and easy for little mouths to chew. I do involve them in the shopping, the cooking and the planting our garden in the spring. I cook mostly from scratch and spend an average of $75 a week on food. And on occasion, when Daddy is out, I do indulge them in good old Kraft mac and cheese or a processed nugget.

In addition to sushi, Claire's favorite meals currently include sweet meat (daddy's fall off the bone tender Braised Ribs) and spicy chicken peas (Spicy Sauteed Chickpeas, Beef & Cilantro).

Abby's favorites include Salmon Cakes and Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli, which she has been eating since before her first birthday.

And both girls absolutely love avocados and my Sour Cream Noodle Bake.

As babies, neither one had any interest in baby food (although to be fair, I am not sure if we ever offered Claire any). They starting exploring food by eating off of our plates and they have continued to want to eat what we eat, especially if it is something we are reluctant to share with them (like, say, my sushi lunch).

My father, naturally, deemed my four year old spoiled this past summer as she ate a pile of steamer clams shelled by my husband and I. Apparently by age two, I was shelling my own steamer clams to avoid getting them eaten off my plate.

7 comments:

  1. That's pretty funny about your Dad. And good for you for not making separate meals. I'm a little more guilty of that than I'd like to admit. My oldest would NEVER touch sushi, but my youngest will eat ANY.THING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow-that is GREAT that they eat that way! You go Mommy!! The man and I are very picky eaters and so our kids have picked up our awful habit as well.
    Ive missed your posts and def. your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's great that the girls are such good eaters. Juliana is pretty good at trying new things, but Morgan hates anything that's not a PB&J sandwich or a hamburger these days :) Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fantastic. I tried very hard to have Addy just eat what we were eating, but she greatly preferred things pureed and bland. And still does. Eli, on the other hand, will grab the sandwich out of your hand...

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at her being all big girl cool!! how cute is that?

    and thanks for the recipe links - i keep forgetting to go over to your world to check...it all looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so little! I just developed a love for sushi and I'm 24! Two words for you. Volcano.Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very envious that your girls are such good eaters. My oldest is very picky - so picky he actually has a weight problem and is very underweight. I am so, so sick of cooking four different things three times a day. I just can't do it anymore, and I get so discouraged. I may just take your dad's method to heart and see if it works around here.

    Sushi - yum - I would pick that over pizza too, smart girl :-)

    ReplyDelete