Claire, how about every time you use the potty you get an orange candy?
Um, No!
How about every time you use the potty you get some money for your piggy bank?
Nope!
A new kitten?
Don't want a kitten.
A trip to Disney World?
NO.
*******************
Months ago, when my two year old started accompanying my five year old into the bathroom for pretend "school" classes, I rushed out and bought her her own little potty. If she was going to be hanging out with her sister while she used the bathroom, she might as well have her own little potty so she could do the same thing that big sis was doing.
Throw in a little praise and encouragement, and I thought potty training child number two would be a breeze.
Heh.
With her third birthday fast approaching, my daughter will not so much as sit on the potty, even once, and no amount of encouragement, praise, reverse psychology or flat out bribery will change her mind.
She likes her diapers just fine. She will not use the potty.
She will not negotiate.
Advice? Please?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love the new look! And sorry, sister. No advice here. Charlotte's turning three next week and she has informed me that she's "too little" for the potty (BS) and that she "likes diapers." So yeah.
ReplyDeleteAre they secretly in cahoots?
Help!
Hmmm...does she have any friends that are potty trained that she could hang out with and be inspired by?
ReplyDeleteHave you gone out to by the cute panties? Maybe fashion would inspire her.
My last thought is maybe a favorite doll or stuffed animal that you can "potty train" so she gets into it.
This is going to be tough but...I would explain that she's a big girl and that she needs to wear big girl undies now. Put them on her and tell her when she has to "go" that she needs go in the potty and not her undies.
ReplyDeleteThere will be accidents...especially the first two or three days, but when she realizes how uncomfortable wet/dirty undies are, she will start to use the potty.
Don't negotiate or beg. Just put her in the undies, explain what she needs to do during the day and let nature take it's course. It sounds like she's very strong willed and needs to decide for herself that she wants to go to the potty.
Good luck!
I agree w/ Beth (A Mom's Life). Take her and let her pick out some panties she likes, then put her in them and see what happens. Be consistent, stick close to home, of course, and expect accidents, but I bet it would get the ball rolling. I would also say, don't be so hard on yourself. It will happen when she's ready, and the pressure you feel to have her potty trained at this point, just b/c she's approaching three, is negative mommy stress that you don't need. So what if she's not trained by 3? She will potty train when she's ready. Good luck, and cut yourself some slack : )
ReplyDeleteWe finally just made Addy wear panties, when she had reached three years and three months old and was still completely disinterested in her potty. She had accidents for a week solid before she finally just got it, and then she's been great. She even stays dry at night, unless SOMEONE forgets to potty her right before bed.
ReplyDeleteWe were very nice about it, and didn't lecture too much about the accidents, just matter of factly remarked how messy it was and how wet pants are yucky, and then we'd give her a quick bath and move on. (She had plastic pants on over her underwear, so she wasn't ruining the furniture or anything.)
Speechless...mine has been potty trained since she was 2 BUT going POOP on the potty-that is a whole nother story!!! Most of it is due to her constipation issues, she will get back up, it hurt, wont go for DAYS, and we are back in pull ups pooping again. Its been an endless cycle....
ReplyDeleteSorry, no help. My almost FOUR year old still won't do #2 in the potty! I seriously thought it would just eventually happen, but months and months later, still NOPE. I am hoping school will help. I mean, she is starting preschool next year, I am NOT packing Pampers in her backpack!!!
ReplyDeletewish i had advice...we aren't there yet. but the teacher in me says no rush. kids do things on their own clocks. but the mom in me says, ok the mom me has no clue!!
ReplyDeletegood luck friend :)
Sorry, I got nothin'. And trust me, you don't want any advice from me, my first wasn't potty trained until he was almost four... ; )
ReplyDeleteSometimes kids just seem to do it when they are ready. One day out of the blue she may totally surprise you.
ReplyDeleteIf YOU are ready and you think SHE is ready, I would say like a couple others did, just get rid of the diapers and put her in panties. We did that and took about 3-4 days of hell, and then he finally got tired of being wet and messy. He gave in and used the potty, and once they go once, they can do it again. I told him big boys wear underwear and that we needed the diapers for the baby. Maybe you could tell her you need to give the diapers to younger babies who need them? (OK, she's pretty bright and may not fall for that one!).
It will happen, for sure. There are never any kids in kindergarten wearing diapers :-)
p.s. I linked to you in my most recent post, I hope that is ok!!
I say just wait...I tried all of that with Izzy and I just had to wait until she was ready to do it. Good luck! What worked for us was privacy!
ReplyDeleteI pushed and pushed my oldest to potty train. He hated it and refused for weeks and months. I finally just let it go.
ReplyDeleteOne morning while I was changing his diaper, he said to me "I want to wear big boy undies." And he never looked back!!! He was 3 years old...one of the last of his friends to actually potty train.
So I say, just let her be. :)
I am always the mean mommy. I don't give them a choice. I take the diapers away and make them pee on the potty. They sit until they pee (when I know they have to go). As long as I know they are able to control their bladder (I usually have them practice peeing into their diapers at around 18 months) they can pee on the potty. I'm just getting ready to start Ben potty training. We'll see how that goes.
ReplyDeletelol! I have no advice, only hope that she will potty train soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the wait until she decides camp.
ReplyDeleteSugar did it at 38 months. She was ready, and just did it. both day and night dry right away.
If you got the "just don't give her a choice" route, I suggest that you be completely and utterly sure you can be calm, and relaxed about the accidents. If not...it isn't a good idea. It will be an extreme amount of stress for the both of you, which isn't healthy.
hugs! It will happen.
For us, it was take it to the hard line. No negotiating -- just a bare bum and full-on bootcamp for three LONG days.
ReplyDeleteWe just ran around nudie and sat on the potty at 30 minute intervals.
It will happen.
PS - our kid was 3.5 when she finally got the picture.