Monday, October 20, 2008

a letter to my little big girl

To Claire,

Your older sister was exactly two years and five months old when you arrived, making her the big girl and you the baby.





You are now two years and five months old yourself, but still firmly consider yourself the baby despite mounting evidence that you are in fact a big girl too.





As a second child, in some ways you are much more advanced than your sister was at the same age. You know all your letters and are beginning to sound out words, just like your sister does. You know your way around parties and playdates. For about a year now you have played with all the same toys as your sister so you know all the characters, from the Disney Princesses to Sponge Bob. You know how to tell a knock-knock joke and you have the potty mouth of a preschooler.





But it some ways you are still very much a baby. You want no part of learning to use the potty or moving out of your crib. I still rock you to sleep each night in your squeaky old green glider with your lullabies playing, your lambie tucked under your arm and your blankie covering your entire body (which is getting harder and harder, by the way).

You are cautious by nature, and slow to try new things. Although this generally makes it very easy to parent you, I do sometimes worry that I should push you to do more. My hope has always been that in your own time, you would spread your wings and fly, your confidence built up by all of the love and security I have provided you every single day of your life.

And slowly, you are conquering new things. Your most recent conquest? The big, big slide, the one you climbed up for months but then refused to slide down.





You have the most giving spirit. When Abby asks you to share something, your answer is "Oh, of course," like sharing your candy with your sister is the most natural thing in the world to you.

You are also incredibly articulate and concerned with manners. You say the most adorably proper hellos and goodbyes. Recently as we were leaving the play place at the mall you called out to the little girl you had just meet ten minutes before "Bye-Bye, I will see you next time!"

As your mother I would love to take some credit for all these good manners, but I believe it is just who you are.

Despite your giving nature, you are not a pushover. You are a little thing with big opinions. You are very smart and also a bit stubborn when it comes to getting what you want.

You still often want to be carried, but are demanding about exactly which position you are to be carried in.

"Don't carry me like this," you cry, "Carry me like this!"

As the baby, you are possibly a bit spoiled when it comes to getting your way.

You are also steadfast in your likes and dislikes. You like the color orange, orange juice (NOT milk), Ariel Mermaid, macaroni & cheese and the letter O (yes, there is definitely a theme to this list). And unlike your sister, who changes favorites on a whim, these are the things you like and no amount of peer pressure will sway you.




As the youngest kid in the neighborhood you are adored by the older kids. You even had your own playdate recently with your seven year old friend from across the street.

However, your sister is truly your best friend.





As close as you and I are, you and Abby understand and enjoy each other in a way that I just can't. The two of you spend hours each day playing together in your own little world of fantasy and make believe. You speak each others language and make each other laugh over the silliest things. Seeing the love and laughter that the two of you share is one of my greatest joys.




I am totally in love with exactly who you are right now- part big girl and part baby. I love to sit back and just watch you as you interact with the world. I love to scoop up your squirmy little body and kiss you and tickle you all over. I applaud you growing and learning, but at the same time I savor these last bits of your littleness.





I love you, now and always, my little big girl.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, she is such a beauty!!!

    And what a beautiful letter!

    By the way, your photography just keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet and beautiful letter.
    That picture of the two girls walking together is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. In tears here. What a beautiful letter. Your words and photographs of your precious girls are so moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really beautiful Beth! Our girls are so much alike, yours are just a few years behind mine. On the days they don't drive me nuts, I LOVE having two girls who are such good friends to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a sweetie! And such a great letter to her. I hope my girls are best friends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful and amazing sentiments, Beth!! I just loved everything.

    What a GREAT mom you are - rocking her to sleep every night . . . . awwwwwww!! (My second child has a lambie and a blankie at bedtime too, btw.) I love the big slide picture and as usual I adore all the clothing. You have the same taste as me I think, and your girls always look so freaking adorable.

    It's wonderful that the two girls play so well together - it's the same here, Pete and David are inseparable and it's just amazing sometimes.

    Thanks for sharing your little big girl with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My stars, you have some lovely little girls! This was really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh beth you have such a way with words! such a sweet post. your thoughts and the pictures just make my heart smile.

    your little big girl is a lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the sweetest thing i have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, you win for best post of the day. Hands down!!

    I loved it, and I know that your little one will someday appreciate the imense amount of love that her Mama has for her.

    Beautiful Beth, just plain beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this was just so amazingly sweet! And I love the pics of Claire and Abby together...their sisterly love is so evident!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, Beth, this is just wonderful. Please save it for her for someday. I love her giving spirit (or the way you describe it, anyway), and her make-believe world with her sister. My kids are cautious, too; isn't it interesting to find that when everyone expects you to be yanking them down off the window sill every time you turn your back?

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOur posts like these are my favorites. I can just eat them up. YOu are a beautiful person, and wonderful writer. You photos rock the party as well.
    Thanks for the warm fuzzies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SOOOOO sweet!!!

    That picture of the girls walking together just made me a puddle on the floor! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful letter to such a beautiful girl. I love the photo of her in the apple dress. ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really really really beautiful. What an awesome tribute to a beautiful and perfect little (bit) girl. She will LOVE reading that when she's older.

    ReplyDelete