Tuesday, October 21, 2008

move over target, I have a new love

Move over Target, I have a new love... and it is CVS. Yes, CVS, that annoying little store that I had barely been inside for the last ten years.

So why the love?

Free stuff. Lots of it. And free stuff is fun.

I am probably the last person to discover this, but you can shop at CVS every week for things that you need and get them free. Free, as in every week for the last six months or so I have gone in, spent no money (or very little money) and left with bags of stuff. I never thought I would say this, but shopping at CVS is fun.

How do you get this free stuff you ask? Sign up for a CVS ExtraCare card (I know, I hate these silly store cards too) and then go here every week, read about the best deals and get links to coupons.

How to use the CVS ExtraCare program is explained in detail here. Basically, the idea is to use your ExtraCare dollars to buy things that you get ExtraCare dollars back on. There are always things that are free after ExtraCare dollars, meaning that if the item costs $4, you get back 4 ExtraCare dollars. You then use these ExtraCare dollars to buy more stuff, so after your first trip you never actually spend any real money. You just keep spending your CVS money and getting new CVS money.

You can also use coupons to save even more on your free stuff. This week for example, I bought a package to tooth brushes that cost $3.99 and paid back $3.99 in ExtraCare Dollars. I had a coupon for a dollar off, so I spent $2.99 and got back $3.99.

Is it really worth it? Is it really stuff I use?

This week I got two packages of Huggies diapers, a bottle of Johnson & Johnson Baby Bath, Huggies wipes, two tooth brushes, Colgate toothpaste, a bottle of Kids Listerine mouth wash, a bottle of Excedrin, and two Halloween flash lights for $10 and I have 10 Extra Care dollars to use on my next shopping trip.

In my medicine cabinet I have about a years supply of toothpaste, Excedrin and Children's Advil, Tylenol, Benedryl and Motrin. All good, useful stuff. All free or almost free.

Yes, some weeks the deals are better than others. Yes, finding the exact brands and sizes is somewhat of a pain. I have learned that one of the three CVS stores near my house is much better at labeling the sale items and stocking them well so that is where I shop.

And another way CVS saves me money? No cute stuff. No fun stuff. And I am much less tempted to toss random things in the cart since my goal is to spend no money, as opposed to Target where I was already spending $100 (what's a couple more dollars at that point??).

Free stuff works for me. Give it a try!

More Works For Me Wednesday

19 comments:

  1. What the H? Where can I get me a CVS???? We don't have one around these parts. Ack!!!!!

    Sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love CVS too! You are not the last person to know. I tell my friends and family, and they are all excited about it. But then they never go try. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple American friends totally obsessed with CVS - they always tell me all the stuff they get for free and I just cannot believe it. I'm so envious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shop CVS, and have gotten some good deals, but I never have really spent the time to figure out the best deals. I seriously need to do this!!! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i <3 cvs. i have a linen closet stocked full of stockpile free (or more than free) stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we don't have one here. . .I'm seriously jealous of your great deals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really honey? i guess i am going to have to look into this. i like free stuff a lot but i am not sure i will be able to break up with target!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walgreens has Register Rewards that work the same way and they have an awesome Rebate program. Pay out of pocket for one month and they send you the rebates via a Gift Card with a 10% bonus, use this every month on more free stuff and turn around to do it again the following month. I'm hoping to never pay for Cleaning Supplies or Toiletries again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of it.... but I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To everyone without a CVS (pitiful!), take heart...apparently, they are trying to get them into as many zip codes as possible!
    I posted about my deals at CVS this week, including free toothbrushes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool blog. I have to start going to CVS more. I have an extra care card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love me some free CVS stuff. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, so I think I am going to have to check this out. Seems almost too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I have a CVS card and get the check out coupons but didn't realize about this whole other system. I am definitely going to start checking weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my CVS too!
    Lots of great deals...I watch for the sale on the picture books and use my extra bucks then.

    I have made some awesome photo books for my family and church.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, beth, talk about WORKS FOR ME! Thanks for the tip. Am going to start this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heart CVS, too! I spent a little more money this week, but I was low on ECB and I had to buy a sympathy card....oh well!

    Plus, they were out of the plastic pumpkins and the candy corns:(

    I love moneysavingmom, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad i read this post because I was just asking my mom about this TONIGHT and she didn't know much about it. I have a CVS about three blocks away - I am SO there this week!! Thanks a million. Free = good.

    ReplyDelete