Tuesday, January 20, 2009

thank you, mr. president

Today, the 44th president of the United States took office. If my girls have any memory at all of this historic event, it will probably be of their mother dragging them away from their dress-up game and forcing them to sit and watch a man saying boring stuff on TV.

"I don't like Barack Obama" declared Abby.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't like boys."

Presidents, apparently, are no exception. I would like to think that President Obama, father of girls, would understand.

"And. I don't like real people on TV."

This is a well documented fact. The girl much prefers the cartoon format.

Claire, on the other hand, was happy to see her man on TV.

"I like Barack Obama! I like boys!"


mr. president



Neither girl seemed to take any notice at all of the new president's skin color. And why would they? In their world anything is possible. People of all shapes, sizes and colors mingle with furry monsters and princesses.

The speech that followed focused on the challenges before us as a nation and our ability to rise to meet them. A classy and inspiring speech.

But it was the following passage that struck me as I sat cuddled with my girls on this snowy January day...

For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies....which sees us through our darkest hours... It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke.... a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate.

Courage... determination... willingness to nurture a child.

In his inaugural address, President Obama included "a parent's willingness to nurture a child" among the most meaningful, most important acts undertaken by the American people. Things of great value, done for the greater good. Things worthy of great respect.

More respect, in fact, than we mothers often give ourselves.

In the daily minutia, it is so easy to lose sight of the greater purpose, the greater value of performing each act. Easy to discount the sacrifice that takes place when we change our lives and our goals in order put our children first. It is easy to allow our contributions to be trivialized.

So thank you, Mr. President, for reminding me of all that is great about our nation and for reminding me, and reminding the world, of the great value of what I do as a parent.

May you continue to inspire us all.

19 comments:

  1. I loved, loved, loved that line as well. Even my husband picked up on it...I thought that was nice.

    And your closing line was perfect as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and a great picture. I also noticed and appreciated his comment about nuturing a child. It seems so rare nowadays for anyone, much less the president, to recognize the effort of those who are busy raising and caring for children... it really was an inspiring speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful - thanks for reminding me of those five words he said that mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a WONDERFUL moment! I also loved the poet who mentioned the kitchen table and doing the kids homework there... I pictured myself in the future doing just that with my boys.

    Nice post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent blog, thanks for sharing. I think your viewpoint is well said ;)

    *******************
    *******************
    FREE INTERNET SPEED TEST

    Fast, Free, Secure
    *******************
    *******************

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wonderfully well said! Thank you for bringing alive that point that he made. I cannot remember how I found your blog, but I am glad that I have. God Bless!

    ~Amy
    SAHM to two miracles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's interesting that he sited a parent's willingness to nurture a child among the most meaningful acts undertaken by the American people yet just a year ago he told Planned Parenthood that one of the first things he would do when he got into office was pass the Freedom of Choice Act!

    I hope he changes his mind on that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo is AWESOME!!! I wish I had thought to do that. Actually brought a tear to my eye.

    Beautiful post, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my next post, I'm going to do a link to this post because I'm so in love with that shot. Seriously, it should be published! Gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said . . . it was amazing to watch something so powerful and monumental on television (I didn't catch it live but was able to watch some of it later on). And you couldn't have gotten a more fitting picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post! I also sort of forced my daughter to watch the inauguration. I was just glad that she was rather behaved that day. She didn't seem to mind that we were not watching the cartoon channel. I loved how he sort of paid tribute to all of us parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It truly was an amazing day. The emotion was palpable even through my TV screen. That is too funny what your daughters said. My little one was also a bit mesmerized by him. She told her dad, "RockaBama was talking on TV today." :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a truly inspiring speech. I had my kiddos in front of the TV as well. Even though they most likely won't remember, I look forward to telling them about it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know - I felt the onus of being grouped with the firefighters who went into the twin towers. It's empowering and wonderful, and completely scary when put like that in an inaugural address.

    As for Abby's response, did you see Malia push her daddy out of the seat she had saved for her mommy when the president & first lady were being seated at the big Lincoln Memorial concert? It was my favorite moment so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This gave me chills.
    Lovely, hopeful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very lovely post! You are such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photo was great! It is one of those I think of when asked, "Where were you when...". I love it!

    ReplyDelete