Friday, January 9, 2009

shoes, pretty red shoes

She is blogging about her two year old in the shoe department of Marshalls again? Seriously? Exactly how much time do they spend there? Doesn't she do anything age appropriate with the two year old?


my little shoe lover



Well, er, no, not really. We tried ballet. It did not work out.

I offered to sign us up for the winter session of story time at our local library.

"Does it have a snack?" the two year old asked.

"No, there is no snack."

"Nope. No thanks, Mommy."

What am I supposed to do? Force her to enjoy a snackless story against her will?

The truth is, the girl enjoys just being my shopping buddy. I praise her for being a good helper. I buy her little treats here and there. A doughnut, a pack of gum, stickers, occasionally even new shoes.

She is happy. I am happy watching her be happy.

And educational opportunities? Well, she identified the shoes above as red. And look at how she is working on her balance. Not to mention fashion sense. See how she went with the red stilettos over those ugly canvas things?

And no, we do not spend all of our time at Marshalls. She also knows what the letters T-A-R-G-E-T spell.

*****

Also, on a completely unrelated note, if anyone is looking for a totally inspiring book about the art of photographing children, I can not recommend this book by Tamara Lackey enough. I simply could not put it down. Her photographs are everything that I hope mine can someday be.


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

19 comments:

  1. Honestly, that has to be one of the cutest pictures of a little kid I have ever seen! And I totally LOL at your post because the first thing either of my kids ask about any activity is will there be snacks? :) Don't apologize about having a shopping buddy, these are going to be the times that she remembers hanging out with mom and being happy doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You so rock! LOL! I aspire to take photos like you do. LOL! She looks great and I must say, she looks great in red shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, never underestimate the value of a 2 year old shopping buddy! They are brutally honest! So the age old question of "does this make me look fat?", will finally get the answer is really deserves! LOL! Not to mention that you are making great memories together! Keep on keepin' on and have tons of fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. She is adorable and I think it's fabulous you two have found something you enjoy doing together. It doesn't have to be dance or gymnastics or whatever else we're told we should be enrolling our kids in. It's all about what you and her enjoy. I think that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, that picture is ADORABLE. It's perfect. Perfect.

    And I think your take on education opportunities is great. Life lessons are just as important as ABCs for a toddler and you are creating the best kind of memories.

    Oh, and it really is me! I don't know if I'm totally back, but I am today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photo - it is ridiculously sweet :-)

    Go with whatever works for you guys! I'm in the just enjoying my kids stage and have given up on enrolling them in stuff they don't like that I have to pay for anyway. If she's into shopping, go with that! I'd kill for a shopper ;-) I have to haul out pretty big bribes if I'm heading to the mall, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that!!! I think it's a perfectly wonderful activity for a 2 year old girl... they have to learn that sometime. I should be done right with her mother.

    :)
    ~Tabitha~

    freshmommyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a cute picture! You're teaching her a very important life lesson here. The older my kids get the more shopping seems to be about them, I miss the two year old days when it was just fun to shop for me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's so adorable! The picture is super cute as well. And yes, she's very stylisth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a smart girl! Educational opportunities can be found everywhere and right now it is more important that she is having fun. Love that picture and thanks for the tip on the photography book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I about fell off my chair when I saw that picture -- I've probably told you this before, but I think she is beautiful (and she looks so mischievous -- reminds me of my youngest).
    Oh, and I only attend libraries with snacks too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is learning the finer points of footwear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOODNESS-TOO FUNNY THAT WE BOTH POSTED ABOUT OUR GIRLS IN SHOES!!
    and.....
    MARSHALLS is the place the Lil Princess got her new shoes-hahhaaa!! I only wish that I had gotten a picture of us shopping like you did.
    I guess only real princesses know where to shop-haha!
    Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable picture! I wish my boys loved to shop...I am in and out! Shopping must ONLY be a girl thing in my family...hopefully one day! Thanks for visiting my 1st PSF..see you next week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a precious photo! She's got great taste. Plus, I love dragging around my 3 year old on my shopping expeditions too. He's a boy, so he's not so much into the heels, but we have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She knows how to pick 'em, doesn't she? Those are awesome. And the picture? Even better.

    Oh to have a little girl to shoe shop with.... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. When my daughter was 2, I found the most adorable patent-leather red shoes for her. I had to pry those red shoes off her feet at bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so funny! That is totally appropriate for a 2-yr old...especially a 2-yr old GIRL! My husband takes issue with the fact that I am excatly where you are, enjoying a day of shopping with a 2-yr old in red pumps, or perhaps a hula skirt, except for the fact that my 2-yr old is a BOY! bwahahahah!!!!

    ReplyDelete