Thursday, September 25, 2008

ballet school drop out

It is official. We quit ballet class.

I am not a quitter. I like to see things through. You make a commitment, you stick to it. If you sign up for ballet class, pay for ballet class and buy ballet shoes, you go to ballet class. But watching Claire at a birthday party this week convinced me that the class is just not right for her.

The party, for a five year old neighbor, was held in one of those indoor gym places. There were about twenty kids at the party. A few were her age. Most were older. A few she knew, but most she did not know. The moms sat in one corner of the room while the kids ran, played and participated in various activities.

Claire had a great time. She was confident and full of smiles (see below). She got her face painted (see below). She ate cake and candy (see below). She occasionally checked in with me, just as her sister did, but she was not scared or clingy or worried.




Seeing her have so much fun in this group setting made me realize that the ballet class I chose was just wrong for her. I could have kept bringing her back. I could have stayed in the room with her and coaxed her to participate. Eventually she might have done okay, but she never would have been as excited as she was at this party. She never would have loved it.

So we dropped out of ballet. We will go back to library story time and perhaps a Mommy and Me class. Things that she clearly enjoys. Things that will be fun for both of us.

I will save the lessons about responsibility and commitment until she is at least three years old.


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

33 comments:

  1. Do you know what? I applaud you for seeing what she needed and just doing it. I think you did the right thing 100%.

    And that pic? Kidness perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful, Beth, I mean, really, really gorgeous! Look how happy she is. I think you did the right thing, too. We dropped out of soccer this summer, my four y/o just wasn't it to it and it was too stressful and ruining a whole day each week for us. When they are much older, I think commitment is important, when they have more insight and input into the choices concerning their extra-curricular activities. For now, life is short and wonderful for a two y/o . . . glad you are enjoying it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard at this age to find the right classes for them when their likes and dislikes change so often. Austin loves music and I signed him up for a 15 week class. This week was the second class and before we went in he said, "I don't want music class no more." We ARE going to stick it out because he does seem to have fun when we are there.
    I agree with you though that the responsibility and commitment lessons can wait until they are a little more aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for "changing your mind". You are right, there is a season for lesson learning. She does look like she is having fun..I am wondering about other fun activities based on this photo..let's see..she looks like a girl who is not afraid of a mess!! Maybe one of those artists who splatter paint on canvases. I bet she would love getting into that class! She looks like she was the life of the party!
    Thanks for sharing this PSF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    THAT.IS.GREAT.

    I love her orange outfit in the Flickr pics too.

    what a ham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to read the story with that face staring at me. Man, she's adorable!
    From personal experience (my daughter's actually) we learned that ballet is really not for everyone. Like your daughter, she liked it, but she wasn't passionate about it, and I think you have to be, to make a real commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How absolutely precious is that picture?

    And good for you for listening to your "inner mama voice" about your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And maybe as she gets a bit older she might want to go back to ballet. Or not. You just never know. And that is part of the fun process. Discovering your childs likes/dislikes, talents and interests.

    I think you made a good choice.
    Great pic! Cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is precious.

    Kudos to you for paying attention to her small signals.

    She is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good plan.

    Love that painted face!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to see things in a different light. Isn't it amazing that even a two year old has such strong likes and dislikes?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness lol what a mess but she wears it well lol. She's a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That picture is fantastic! The green tongue...love it! Good for you for knowing what's right for your princess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that picture! What a little cutie you have on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, I completely agree. I do understand that you need to teach your kids to honor a commitment, but sometimes I think it is OK to just say "This isn't right, why bother making you, me and everyone else miserable just to prove a point that you need to be responsible." Life is too short. Have fun.

    I once pulled my oldest out of a swim class when she was about 4 because she suddenly went through a severe case of separation anxiety. Looking back, it was the right thing to do. She eventually got over it, she has since been in many other activities without any problems, and no one is any worse off. Making her continue because she committed would only have made everyone miserable.

    And LOVE that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you did what was best. I also dropped out of ballet at 5. I hated it. But I did get back into and ended up falling in love with it years later. Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut, and it sounds like you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you made a good choice. Obviously, it wasn't really what she wanted.

    Your mom-dar was right on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I say 100% good for you! She looks very happy (and silly...and CUTE!) in that picture. If she wasn't like that in ballet class then I think you made the right decision for her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When this blog was founded I told myself that I would never post a comment and honor a self imposed separation of the spouses hobbies but I just had to say that when I look at this picture all can think of is Peter Criss.

    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/forreame/Kiss-1978-PeterCriss.jpg

    Party on rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made the right decision - at this age, you cannot force her to enjoy herself. I am sure there are lots of other fun activities that she would enjoy much more. When my daughter was 2 1/2 we did a mommy and me gymnastics class - very relaxed atmosphere, most kids just ran around and played on the gym equipment, and we had a blast! 2 years later she still asks to go back there (the place was unfortunately sold and closed so we can't).
    LOVE the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you & for Claire. :) She'll still have fun playing dress-up in her ballet shoes and dance outfit. awesome picture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that's very smart. Mine was NEVER good at group settings. I shouldn't force such things on him. And, you're right. They have plenty of time to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great PFS and a great mommy decision. Not every kid is designed for all sorts of classes. I've resisted taking our daughter to a million different classes just to "keep up with the Joneses" because she really doesn't want to go. The few we did go to she hated, so know I listen to her and go from there...

    Love the photo. Such a quintessential kid moment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No worries at all - mothers know best!

    Gret picture!

    ReplyDelete
  25. no doubt you did the right thing. :) hugs! making a decision like that is hard, but it really sounds like you made a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to be in tune. You'll both be happier for the decision. One day you will find her thing, for now the library is a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did the right thing. We have to find activities that suit our children. My daughter is no ballet dancer either!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Some times it is tough making those decisions, but if its not for her, its not for her.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you! She'll enjoy the other activities so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job listening to your kid. We ditched Tumbleweeds for Frannie last year: same story. Never looked back, and still haven't gotten a sommersault out of her.

    ReplyDelete