Monday, September 8, 2008

the perfect mother

Our days together are long. Frustrating. Hard.

I run out of patience. I say things I later regret.

I don't spend enough time praising the good. Living in the moment.

Yes, of course, there is love and joy and laughter. I hope this is what you will remember when you look back on your childhood, but I have no way of knowing.

What you don't know, what you have no way of knowing, is that long after you are asleep I come into your room. I brush your hair from your face and straighten your covers. I listen to you breathe. I admire your beauty, your sweetness, your innocence. I kiss you and whisper I love you. My heart over flows with love for you and joy that I am your mother.

If you happen to cry out in the dark, I am there to comfort, to sooth, to whisper again that I love you and it will be okay.

I am the perfect mother.

If only I could be this perfect mother during the daylight hours too.

10 comments:

  1. They will remember their own versions of perfection and imperfection. Just love them, and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is much, much easier to be that perfect mother while they are sleeping, so innocent and sweet. No whining, crying, not listening, tattling on siblings...
    I am still sure you are an excellent mother though, even during the daytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be so hard on yourself - not everyone is a day person! lol Seriously nights are easier - you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know exactly how you feel. I can be ready to lose it with my kiddos during the day, but it all is immediately forgotten when I go check on them at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you. Because my bet is that every mom feels the same way, at times. Whether they admit it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't we all relate? Everyone seems to be a lot more peaceful when the kiddos are asleep! ; )

    Pretty post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so sweet and true. I can relate in every way. If only the day can be as peaceful as the night sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm teary-eyed. I totally understand how you feel.

    ReplyDelete