Friday, September 5, 2008

the first day of school, and I am crying again

Drop off went beautifully. We were almost on time. The girl was dressed, her hair was brushed and her underwear was in place (those underwear checks are really paying off). I was wearing clean clothes and lip gloss. The baby had her breakfast of orange juice and dry cereal in hand.

Abby ran off to greet her friends, many of whom she has seen over the summer. She did not look back.

I made a quick exit with baby and shopping list in hand. I did not look back.

At pick up time, Abby came bounding out or her classroom, art work in hand and an ear to ear smile on her face.

I asked how her day went.

Mommy, there is a new girl in my class, she said. She was wearing a pink skirt and a pink bow and I am her friend she said proudly. She went on to discuss the toys they played with and how she showed her new friend around the playground.

I asked Abby if the teacher had asked her to be the new girl's buddy.

No Mom, she said, in a tone of voice that implied it should be obvious. She was just the new girl and didn't know anybody so I wanted to be her friend.

And just like that, I was crying again on the first day of school.


12 comments:

  1. Awww. What a dear, sweet girl you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. passing the kleenex...only if you promise to pass them back when it is my turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet girl. I have been crying all week long. GAH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet...now I am all teary-eyed. I'm so glad she's found a new friend and that she's loving school.

    My Abby starts preschool on Tuesday. We went to meet her teacher yesterday. I went to the 2 hour orientation on Weds. I'm seriously doing everything I can to hold it together.

    I'm going to be a mess this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet and look how cute she is!!

    You should read my post from Friday about underwear checks. I totally should have listened to you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got a really keeper there. :) what a sweetheart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good little heart your Abby has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweetheart! Clearly, you've done a fantastic job mommy :) She is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww......i know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And that is exactly what I hope to hear out of my daughter's mouth some day.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a total SWEETIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful in the outside and even more importantly on the inside!

    ReplyDelete