Sunday, September 28, 2008

the joy of cooking, with kids

Step 1: Get yourself some nice fresh apples


Step 2: Prepare your favorite pie crust (for me that would be a Pillsbury ready made crust).


Step 3: Select 6 or 7 medium size apples. Peel, core and chop into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Ask children to add 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.



Step 4: Mix well. Taste and or lick a few apples to make sure the seasonings are right. Then pour apple mixture into the bottom crust and cover pie with the upper crust.



Step 5: Carefully sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the crust.



Step 6: Get up close to lick/sneeze on/admire your work. Then bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 to 45 minutes more.






Pie anyone?



Recipe adapted from my cooking bible, Joy of Cooking

12 comments:

  1. HOW cute are THEY??? I love it!! What a couple of sweeties! And that pie is to die for, I'm drooling right now. Joy of Cooking is my favourite too - I love it and use it all the time :-) I'm very envious of your kitchen island . . . don't have one but feel like my life would be better if I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect recipe - that is the way your little ones did it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhm yes please. and can mine have a scoop of ice cream on top??

    looks like the girls are excellent bakers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that looks good!! And the girls look like they had tons of fun helping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT looks like delish pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm...apple pie is so, so yummy!

    Your adorable little bakers did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! It's making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all that adorable cuteness!!! Your girls are so stinkin' photogenic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are seriously like the 100th person to cook a pie and take pictures. I think I'm going to have to buy one (I just don't do pies well)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks awesome. Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete