Tuesday, September 23, 2008

a good mommy day

For much of the past week I have been in a bad mood for no good reason. My kids are happy and healthy. They have even been reasonably well behaved lately. The weather has been beautiful. Friends, family and husband are all good.

Sure, politics and the financial markets are a mess. Yes, there is the real fear that my husband could lose his job, the one that provides our one and only paycheck. And the world's fastest, most annoying, impossible to catch fly has been in our house for two days. All worrisome, but my bad mood is not really about any of these things.

It is more general, harder to place and therefore harder to shake.

So I go about my daily routine and I try to snap out of it, try to enjoy my kids. But I am impatient. My enthusiasm is lacking. I don't want to draw letters in the driveway or make a Playdoh snail, not because I have something else I have to do, but just because I would rather not.

But today it finally happened. A good mommy day.

Nothing changed, but everything changed. The stars aligned. Our morning activities and the kids themselves were no different than any other day, but I was happy mommy. I was tolerant. There was no rushing. No impatience. No yelling. As I colored with the girls, I savored the warmth of Claire's little body on my lap. I just smiled at my torn apart bed filled with books when I emerged from the shower. As we drove to Target, I did my best to explain gravity and make the requested animal noises. As we shopped for birthday gifts and Halloween decorations, my own good mood and a couple of bribes ensured the happiness of all.

The afternoon wore on. Despite no naps, both girls had a blast jumping and laughing their hearts out at a birthday party. Finally, they both collapsed in their beds.

A good day. A fun day. A good mommy day at last.

16 comments:

  1. That is just perfect! Moments like today make it all worth it don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad a good day surfaced. They can come so infrequently sometimes. But when they do, it's lovely to savor them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for a good mommy day! We all have those non-mommy days/weeks...darn hormones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you were able to have bliss like this; if only we could bottle those days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I love when those kind of days happen. I just wish they were more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad the day turned out well - we all need days like that once in a while to recharge our batteries. And I totally know what you mean . . . I was feeling in a terrible rut a few weeks ago and could not figure out what was wrong with me - it was awful. Maybe it is the time of year? Changing seasons and schedules, knowing the cold weather is coming - anyway, I have been feeling better lately too, so whatever happened to change things I'm certainly thankful :-)

    Here's to another good mommy day for you again today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh there is nothing quite like a good mommy day. if only they happened every day :)

    although then i guess they wouldn't be as special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO glad you had a good day. I have been in a bit of a "funk" myself lately (as I posted about it yesterday) and I hoping to come out of it soon...

    Here's to another great day! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. As my hubby would say, "it's all about getting your head right!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for a good Mommy day! We all get into those funks and thank goodness eventually one of those perfect days rolls around to snap us out of it.
    Glad you felt better today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost wrote a post just like this, but I couldn't quite put it to words. You described it perfectly. I've been in such a funk, and for no particular reason.
    Thankfully, I've come out of it now.
    So glad we both have.
    Yay for good mommy days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very nice to know I am not the only one who has bad days for no apparent reason! So glad to hear you had a good one! Go moms!! About the tendonitis...I think it can come from an injury (like the twisted ankle) or just out of nowhere, like working out too hard, etc. If she keeps complaining about it, it might not hurt to have it looked at...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. rock on with your good mommy day self. :) congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you had a good day. I understand how you've been feeling though...my husband is in the process of trying to find a new job. Financial stress just wreaks havoc on everything. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your hubby is able to keep his job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love days like that!!! Unfortunately, my days have been everything but blissful lately, but I know, I KNOW it is just a phase. (Please God, let this be a phase...)

    ReplyDelete