Wednesday, January 14, 2009

happy one year anniversary, dear blog

Actually, happy belated anniversary. Late again.

When I started this blog a year ago it was to document the reality of day to day life as the mother of two young girls, the good and the not so good. The wonder, the magic and the misery. I wanted to remember all the details, not just the pretty snapshots. And I thought this version of our lives, the day to day reality, might be of interest to my girls someday, perhaps as they consider becoming mothers themselves.

I also thought blogging might be a fun way to make a little money (if dooce can earn enough to pay her mortgage, maybe I could at least earn enough to pay for the girl's activities?). Ha! Turns out mommy blogging is not nearly so lucrative for most of us.

When I started this blog, I knew of a handful of other blogs but had never commented on a single one. I simply had no idea what a wonderful community was out there. How many people there were writing about the same things I was feeling, only much. more. eloquently. than. I. ever. could.

I had no idea how these posts, these ideas, would inspire me throughout each day. How I would read a post by a mom in Kansas about how you only get one chance at each day, how you can't get it back, and then the next day let my girls run around catching snow flakes on their tongues when they should have been getting in the car because that post and that thought, you only get one chance at each day, popped into my head.

I had no idea that I would meet. so. very. many. wonderful. interesting. and. talented. people, some of them in real life.

I had no idea that my mother, mother in law and even my father would be such fans of my blog. Or that it would help my husband understand my world better and that the pictures and stories would give him something to smile about in the midst of his stressful work day.

I had no idea how addictive blogging could be. How much time I would come to devote to reading and commenting on blogs. How I would be up well past midnight clicking just one more link. How I would need to learn to balance my time in blogland and my time with the real life kids that inspired me to start blogging in the first place.

I had no idea that at 34 years old, I would finally become a decent speller.

And finally, I had no idea how. many. wonderful. photographers. of. all. styles. I. would. find. Or how much I would learn about equipment, lenses and Photoshop from their pictures and their words. How in just a years time, after following others as they made the journey from photography lover to professional photographer, I would be inspired to try to do the same.

So now I find myself thinking about what direction I want to take this blog in. Do I want to focus more on photography? How much time do I want to devote to blogging?

Whatever the answers, I am thankful to everyone who has stopped by to visit me here and everyone who has taken the time to share their own experiences. I have learned so much from each and every one of you!

14 comments:

  1. Amazing what can happen in a year, isn't it?
    Happy Blogoversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A year makes such a difference. Isn't it fun how you totally get drawn in.

    And, I say, your blog is for you...whatever you want to do, people will enjoy it!

    Photography...love to read some hints.

    Pictures and stories about the girls? Love that, too!

    Happy blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! And don't leave us, I would miss your stories and pictures too much! Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogoversary friend!!

    You are one of my favs!! :)

    Can't wait to read where life takes your sweet little family next! Maybe to the shoe section at Nordsrom's?? Just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a whole year, Beth!! I've completely enjoyed finding your blog this year and absolutely love reading it - it's one of my top favourites for sure. My family wouldn't be eating if it weren't for all your recipes :-) I love your honesty, your writing style and *obviously* your fabulous photos. I'm sorry you haven't made millions with your blog . . . lol, me neither yet and my hubby keeps asking me when he'll be able to quit his job like Heather Armstrong's husband did. Uh, yeah, working on that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogoversary!!!!!! I am so thrilled to be a reader and glad that I have had a chance to get to know you. You have a wonderful blog and your photography blows me away each.and.every.time! You are such a fabulous person and I cannot wait to read about you and your family in the next year!
    Thanks so much for the "hidden link". You are too kind!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed...so much has changed for you in a year, huh? I loved looking at all your links in this post. So many great blogs I have never seen. Thanks for sharing.
    I am honored to have been linked as well. I have enjoyed so much watching your photography grow. I love that about photography. there is so much to learn....and it is fun to see the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy happy blogoversary friend :)

    loving all the bloggy love...you really are the sweetest mommy blogger out there!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogoversary! I hope you keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea either... it's really amazing, this here community, isn't it? ; )

    And what a great post - for you to spread the love around so much. Thanks for linking up - to my blog and so many wonderful other ones.

    Happy Blogaversary Beth! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! Blogging certainly is a journey, isn't it? I quickly went over to some of your links, but I'm going to have to come back and really look at them. Really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, i'm honored to be among such company! and you just gave me several hours of clicking to do myself tonight... :) happy blog-o-versary, and all that nice stuff? right back at cha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the link and the love--and of course I say photography with all the good stuff mixed in! :)
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete