Yesterday, my husband and I did the best thing two parents could do for their children. We went out for the day and got Oma and Opa to babysit.
They arrived around 11am armed with flashing Ariel Mermaid tee shirts, rings and stick on earrings for each girl, a supply of junk food that mommy never buys, a new movie and a new pair of crocs for Claire. Oma's only request was that we set up our largest inflatable pool in the backyard.
I am not even sure the kids noticed that we left.
When we returned nine hours later, having thoroughly enjoyed a Red Sox game and dinner out, both girls were still over flowing with excitement.
"Mommy! Daddy! See me new pink crocs!" Claire said, twirling and dancing in her Ariel shirt, diaper and crocs. She was sweaty and covered with bits of the day's treats. She could not have been happier.
"Mommy! Daddy! We went in the pool and danced and colored and watched a movie and ate pizza for lunch and pizza for dinner and I had three pops! And LOOK, I got a tattoo!!" Abby said, her body shaking with excitement. She could not have been happier.
We have come a long, long way from the first night we left our newborn daughter in my mother's care for a couple of hours after she insisted that it would be good for us to get out. Together. Without the baby. She even provided a restaurant gift certificate.
That night, still wearing my maternity pants and filled with new mother anxiety, I worried that the baby could not possibly sleep or take a bottle without me. That she would desperately scream and scream for her Mommy. I checked my cell phone repeatedly, fearing that my daughter could not possibly survive without my actual presence.
Clearly, now they do just fine without me.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think they do fine without you because they know you'll be back. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely and wise mother you have! It is so important to get out as a couple once in a while. When the hubby and I went away together for a few days in May I told him I forgot how much I like to hang out with him. It was a pleasant surprise to me how much fun we have together. We really got to focus on each other again, and it was great. Of course we were so happy to come back to our boys, but it was a needed break.
Glad you had such a wonderful day!
I LOVE this post.
ReplyDeleteMostly because I so understand those feelings about leaving the kids. I'm still not very good at leaving my kids with other people, but man do my kids beg to go to Grandma's...there's just something about her house or her visits that are magical.
I'm glad you and your husband had such a nice day. It sounds like your kids and their grandparents did too!
Soooo jealous that you got to go to a Red Sox game!
ReplyDeleteBut I'm glad you had fun. It's always a little sad to realize our kids don't need us quite like we thought they would but it's also nice. It's good to spend alone time with the hubby!
I struggle with that too - thinking that Jack will never be able to get along without me. But yesterday when I picked him up from daycare, he was so busy playing he hardly noticed that I had arrived. :)
ReplyDeleteI have two girly's too - Goosey is 4 and Lulu just turned 2. And have I been there. I specifically remember the first time Hubby & I left Goosey. I never relaxed - so nervous that she would need me, even though she was with my amazing mother who raised three children. My in-laws took our girls on Saturday night overnight too & we had a "staycation" at home -just hung out, went to see a movie, slept late, etc. Our kids came home happy to happy, relaxed parents.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog!
oh one day friend...one day i will write this post and it will be thanks to you :)
ReplyDeleteso glad you guys had such a lovely day together. much deserved.
My mom does this for us too, and I love it.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to be able to do it for my kids someday!
The first time we left our daughter with someone to head out for a night on the town, she swallowed a pill and had to be rushed to the ER. All was fine, and we can tease her Godfather about it now, but it's soured me from leaving her with anyone. Man, I need a night out. I think I might be ready to try again! But this time with a babysitter from church (the Godfather has forever been relieved of his duties).
ReplyDeleteI think my Abby was at least six months old before I left her for the first time to go out with my husband. I cried halfway to the restaurant, turned my cell phone ringer to the highest volume possible, put it on the table where I could see it at all times, and called at least twice while we were gone to "check in".
ReplyDeleteNOW - I cry if I can't find a babysitter!!! hahaha!
Beautiful sentiment. Isn't it funny how know we understand where the GRAND in grandparents comes from?
ReplyDeleteSounds like tons o' fun to me! Can Oma and Opa come babysit me please? ; )
ReplyDeleteIsn't it great knowing your kids had an absolute blast while you were out?? what fun!
ReplyDeleteOoh, that sounds like a fun day out too me! Good for you for enjoying your "day off"!
ReplyDeleteWe've all been there. I think I worry more about my one year old than my four year old at the same age. Wyatt's just more attached.
ReplyDeleteWell written!