Sunday, November 9, 2008

visions of home

Back in college, my future husband and I walked hand in hand through the quaint streets of Amherst and shared visions of our future together.

After some time spent living in the city and traveling, we would settle into a classic New England home. It would be a graceful old house with classic architecture, beautiful moulding (I have always been big on moulding), a front porch and a big old maple tree out front. One of the ones that turns beautiful shades of red and gold in the fall, with leaves fluttering to the ground and children running beneath, jumping in big piles of leaves.

There would be lots of bedrooms for all of our future babies and a sunlight filled kitchen. This lovely, welcoming home would be in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of a quaint town center that included a coffee shop, a bakery, a bookstore, a restaurant and the subway train to the city. There would also be a park within walking distance where all those babies could play and I could effortlessly meet other fabulous mothers.

Reality being what it is, we built a house in a pretty little subdivision out in suburbia. A practical cookie cutter house in a kid filled neighborhood. And we planted a maple tree out front.

It may not be perfect, but we have filled it with children, love and laughter. We have made it our home.

And while our maple tree is not quite big enough to run and play under just yet, we did recently find one at our local park that is.








The girls have had lots of fun chasing leaves, making leave piles and having leave fights.














And I am happy just to take it all in- the warm autumn sun, the crisp air, the beauty of the leaves and the girls. Not exactly what I imagined all those years ago, but also better than I ever imagined.






18 comments:

  1. So precious and the girls are so beautiful!! I love fall, it's beautiful :)

    PS. found you through Corey

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful post. you are a very good writer. and your daughters are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos that remind me why I love fall soooo much. I wish we had so many leaves here to dive in. Thanks for the great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, Beth, amazing. The girls look so happy . . . what kid doesn't love jumping and playing in leaves?? Sounds like you have a wonderful home, and one day soon that maple tree will be bigger than you imagined. I can relate as well - we are certainly not in my dream home right now, and while some days I yearn for a bigger house (ours is tiny) I try for the most part to remember that the important part is how happy we are here. Thanks for the lesson :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What awesome pictures! I love Fall in New England!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well. We did find a lovely, charming old home. And it has creeky floors, drafty windows, no storage space, and creepy bugs. Now I want out! ;)

    Beautiful post! That part looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful friend.

    there truly is nothing like a fall day full of leaf jumping with your babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story and a great post!

    The pictures are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I adore these pictures! Looks like SO much fun and such a pretty park you're in!

    Your whole blog is like a Pottery Barn catalog (in a good way!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect post!

    The story, the photos, the love, all of it perfect!!

    Can I just bug you to ask how you get your photos to download so large from Flickr? I tried it the other day, and mine were really tiny. Would you mind telling me what I am missing?? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful leaves!!!! My kids would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing how much fun and how gorgeous fall can be. I dreamed about experiencing a "real fall" season as a child in Florida. Something about crunching and tossing golden leaves is so magical as a child...and as an adult :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, those are spectacular memories and photos Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are such fun-loving pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos and a great post!

    It reminds me of the fall leaves me and my fiance walked through in the park when he proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond engagement ring from www.idonowidont.com last year.

    We would love adorable kids like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow wow wow.....I wish I had been there. You captured it so well. sigh....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find that there's something so bittersweet about remembering the time before your life became what it is, when you could still dream the perfect picture. I live in a college town, and employ babysitters who are still formulating their dreams. It's refreshing to be around them. On good days, I love their youthful anticipation. On not-so-good days, I am filled with what-ifs and memories of dreams that didn't quite pan out for me. Good for you for grasping the now and readjusting your dream to the beauty of the life you have created.

    ReplyDelete