They got into costume and posed for a Halloween portrait.
They partied.
They enjoyed the pizza.
They hopped on their broom.
And finally hit the neighborhood.
Then decided it would be easier to ride.
And finally, they enjoyed all of their loot!!
Halloween is a tricky holiday to photograph, since most of the excitement happens after dark. This year, I was quite pleased with the results I got using the night portrait mode on my camera (the one with the picture of a little man standing in front of a star in the sky).
Basically this mode combines a flash with a long exposure, so instead of white faces and a black background, you get light on the person being photographed and a long exposure to fill in the background details. The problem of course is that you should really use a tripod to prevent blur due to camera shake, which is not exactly practical for trick or treating.
All of the outdoor pictures above, with the exception of the first one, were taken using this night portrait mode after it was dark outside. Although they are blurrier than I would like, I love the color and the fact that the background is not pitch black. Overall, I think they capture the mood pretty well even if they are not technically perfect.
In the end though, I have to go with the last shot of Claire enjoying her candy as my entry for Best Photo in the Halloween Photo Contest sponsored by Parent Bloggers Network and the fabulous folks at Blurb (where you can import photos, artwork or even your blog and turn it into a bookstore quality book, which is a prize I would so love to win).
While I am at it, I will also enter this shot of my little kitty cat in the Cutest Costume (age 2 and under) category. Personally, I think her annoyed expression just makes her that much cuter.
And this shot in the Cutest Costume (age 3 and up) category.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










They are so cute, Beth!! I love their costumes, and I cannot believe you got them to pose for you - you have them trained WELL. My little boys wouldn't give me one decent shot (perhaps I should have bribed them with candy??). I think your night pictures turned out fabulously - you're an amazing photographer. I hope you win with those two last shots - they are worth it.
ReplyDeleteWe have that same wagon and it would have served useful on Friday night - had I thought to bring it!
where were you with the photo tips on friday night?? i sooo could have used your help!!
ReplyDeleteseriously adorable pics of the girls!!
and btw is that your dinning room?? it's beautiful!!
Wow, you took some fabulous photos! All of those are winners! The kids look so precious and had awesome costumes!
ReplyDeleteGreat costumes! We've also had pretty good luck with the night setting on our camera. It takes a little experimenting though.
ReplyDeleteOh my!!! What great costumes! They look just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteGlad the night was such a success! :)
oooo the cuteness.....and the fun. I love it. I really want PIZZA now too. LOL
ReplyDeleteGreat shots! Have a great week!
Hi!
ReplyDeleteGreat Shots!
I had trouble myself when using the night setting so I used the sports setting...that worked pretty good too!
Your girls looked adorable!
Those costumes are AWESOME - especially the older daughter's! And the candy pic to submit is adorable - I'd choose that one too. Great shots - great memories. Loads of fun.
ReplyDeleteYou know...I think I have a night mode setting on my camera and I have never even used it. Keep the tips coming. I need all the help I can get.
ReplyDeleteYour pics are awesome. Good luck with the contest!
What a great Halloween! They look absolutely adorable!
ReplyDeleteThey are so adorable! I love their kitty and witch costumes :) The one of her and all of her loot is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am back to comment (I couldn't get it to work the other night!)
ReplyDeleteThese costumes are fabulous and the picture of the girls together is so perfect!! How do you get such wonderful pictures all the time? I think you are a shoe-in for the contest beth!!
Adorable! Cute costumes, great photos-- and congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteHEY HEY- she won, you won!!
ReplyDeleteCongratualtions!!
What a Beautiful witch!