Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a stolen moment

I nursed Claire to sleep every day of her babyhood. I did not do it for the supposed health benefits or the possibility of extra IQ points. I did it because I enjoyed the closeness. The special something only I could provide. When I weaned her at 20 months, I still held her close but instead rocked her to sleep in the same worn green glider.

Now, at 25 months old, her legs dangle off of my lap. Often, she grows restless as I rock her. Often, after a little cuddle she asks to go in her crib and then talks herself to sleep.

But today she was tired. She kicked and cried about going up stairs. She kicked and cried some more about having her diaper changed. She fussed as I gave her lambie and her favorite blankie. But then as I held her close she sighed deeply, put her head against my chest and said 'tired... I tired...'

As she closed her eyes and feel asleep in my arms, all of a sudden she was my little baby again.

15 comments:

  1. Worn pink glider, here. Rocked my 25 1/2 month old to sleep last night and thought the same thing. They grow up too fast (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is the sweetest thing.....sigh....life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! This is the exact same reason I will carry my 5 year old to bed if he asks me. Won't be long until I can't lift him up so I will carry him while I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. Those cherished moments. So precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is exactly why each and every night i try to be present in the moment. i know we won't nurse forever. and i honestly think it's going to be harder on me when we "grow" up.

    sweet post dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. So. SWEET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww, I love that. I wish I could keep mine little forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet. And WOW, kudos for still breastfeeding. I lasted until 14 months and then like that my son was all done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those moments are the best :) I still love to cradle and hold my big, nearly 3 year old now.

    I think weaning was more traumatic for me when it happened :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post. Makes me want to wake up my kids for a cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post Beth!!

    Every once in a while I still get glimpses of that with my ten year old. They are few and far between, and no doubt will be gone soon, but I get them. And I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yesss!!!!! I know all about the "glider" moments. I swear they could be Hallmark cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. today I'm stopping by to say...happy pow!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK now I just wanna cry cos my babies are getting too big. Need to go give them a squeeze!

    ReplyDelete