Tuesday, June 3, 2008

what are you doing this summer?

This is the question that seems to be on everyone's mind these days. School is almost over. The weather is warm. So what exactly are we going to do this summer?

This will be my third summer as a stay at home mom. The first summer I had a two year old, a newborn and a healing c-section incision. Getting to the backyard was a major accomplishment.

The second summer I had a tantrum prone three year old and a one year old who enjoyed nursing, took two naps a day and was not especially motivated to walk but was to old to sit by peacefully while big sis played. Getting to the backyard was still somewhat of an accomplishment.

But this summer I have a two year old and a four year old. Two kids that can do kid stuff. Two kids that can walk and talk and eat food. We are able to travel with a minimum of equipment and supplies. We are able to stay out for a whole day, because although Claire does still take an afternoon nap most days, she does not get cranky if she misses one.

The freedom! The excitement! The pressure of filling almost three whole months with no structured activities at all. I want it to be a balance of relaxing, unstructured time and fun activities. Memorable, yet manageable.

So what are we going to do this summer?

First up, we have a trip to Storyland planned, which will involve our first hotel stay as a family of four. We will also be taking several trips to my family’s beach house on Cape Cod. We typically spend most of our time on the beach, but Abby is also very interested in going on a whale watch and visiting the Zooquarium this year.

Okay, so that covers three, maybe four weeks of the summer. What next?

We will go blueberry and strawberry picking. The kids still talk regularly about how much fun it was to eat all the blueberries last year.

Bank of America is offering free museum admission on the first weekend of each month, so we will attempt a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts with the girls. I plan to spice this up by letting them choose post cards in the gift shop and use them for a scavenger hunt.

We will make good use of our Children’s Museum membership by visiting the wonderfully enchanting outdoor Wild Place, and special summer drop in events in Boston and Easton.

An All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Festival to benefit the Jimmy Fund. How could we not go?

And we can't forget the Zoo, with their new butterfly exhibit and Carousel.

Or Edaville Railroad and their fun little kiddie rides.

Still more summer left? My girls would probably love one of these Disney Princess themed Children's Theatre shows.

And finally, my favorite summer day trip is Nantasket Beach. When the tide is low, there is a wide flat beach full of tide pools for the girls to play in. The water is warm (for around here) and the waves are big enough without being too big. There is a Historic Carousel, a board walk filled with shops and a playground, plus convenient amenities like showers and a bathroom all for the low price of $3 for parking.

Okay, so now we have some places to go, but what about those rainy days? I am not an especially crafty person, so I am a big fan of the craft projects at our local library. Someone else has planned them, someone else has set them up and they are free.

But since my kids really do enjoy crafts, I did also manage to find a few crafty things that seem doable at home with a four year old and a two year old:

paint with pudding
summer coloring pages
caterpillar craft
salt art
flour play
magic goo

If we get desperate, we might try making bubbles, chalk, play dough or these sand footprints.

And to balance all of this summer fun, I hope to spend lots of lazy days just hanging around in our own neighborhood playing in the water and eating pops.

I tend to feel more pressure to be out somewhere doing something in the summer months, but the reality is chores still need to get done, gas is expensive and our entertainment budget is limited.

I am going to try to remember that is okay to just stay home and enjoy the simple pleasure of watching the kids play and explore in our own backyard. Simple. Relaxing. Fun. Free.

So what are you doing this summer?

Head on over to Rocks in My Dryer to see how others plan to keep the kids occupied during the summer months.

***************************
Edited to Add:

A few more wonderful ideas I just have to add to my list:

free movies

attract and catch fireflies

nature scavenger hunt for toddlers/preschoolers

make an alphabet book

17 comments:

  1. Zooquarium! We went there last year. It wasn't as wonderful as we had hoped. Part of it was closed down due to renovations.

    But we did manage lunch before hand at Captain Parkers which was wonderful!

    My inlaws have a little place in W. Yarmouth and we spend a week there every Fourth of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goal for the summer is to simply not burn the baby!! truly i have no idea the right amount of sunscreen to apply :)

    but it sounds like you are going to have a fun-filled-action-packed summer mixed with a side of lazy days!! sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way as you! This year, my almost 3 yo usually takes naps, but isn't completely miserable if she doesn't. So, for the first summer in a LOONNNGGG while, we can do things that aren't scheduled around making sure the kids get good naps! Oh the freedom!!!!

    We are getting a pool this year. It is a gift from Make A Wish for my special needs little girl. So, I expect the majority of our summer will be spent in the water. We also have our yearly trip to Hilton Head in 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo jealous! Your summer sounds like the perfect mix between busy/relaxing. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's a great list! I wish we we could drive to the beach for a day trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I will admit my jealousy right now- those are some awesome trips you have planned! And the ages just get better- we're at 3 and 5 this summer and so far it's proving to be my favorite ages yet.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my site and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for including the Children's Museum in Easton as part of your summer plans!

    We know parents are concerned with gas prices this summer so we wanted everyone to know that the Museum offers several discount admission programs along with free parking.

    http://www.childrensmuseumineaston.org/PlanYourVisit.asp

    Thanks again for the mention.

    Your pals at the CME

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic. Currently it's hard to get out due to baby's nap schedule. Next summer I will have an almost two year old, so I'm hoping to DO stuff then with the kids. Although, what are the odds I'll be pregnant again next summer? HIGH, is what I'm thinking...
    As far as this summer is concerned, my goal is just to keep our yard from looking like an eyesore, as it did last summer when I was bouncing from one health issue to another for the whole three months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun! The best advice I got for SAHMdom was to plan activities to keep you busy. Sitting at home EVERY day gets old quick.

    These were fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Can I come live with you this summer? I dont' eat much. Although my boys are a different story! HA!

    Sounds like you have a lot of fun planned and will be making tons of great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a small idea to add to your rainy day. Get some of that really cheap shaving cream, squirt it on a paper plate and let them go to town. For whatever reason this does seem to occupy them. Wahs up and be reminded of you fun all day with the smell of cheap shaving cream!!!

    Happy POW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm LOVING the paint with pudding idea. I could go for a SnackPack right now, actually...

    Be right back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your scavenger hunt with postcards at the art museum idea! for craft fun, martha stewart has a little booklet they sell at places like walmart that has tons of great ideas. look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so thankful for this post! You gave so many wonderful craft ideas!! I've been thinking of making edible play-dough...because Carter still tries to eat the non-edible one!

    Fantastic POW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I forgot about playdough - excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stumbled across your blog. I am from MA too! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. First of all, I am in RI! How far are you from our zoo? We were there for a visit over Memorial Day weekend, but unfortunately time didn't allow a visit to the butterfly exhibit. We'll definitely be back.

    You are going to LOVE Storyland! We went last summer when MH was 2 1/2 and she LOVED it (so did we). Sadly, we won't be able to go this year as I have had 2 major back surgeries since October, and my back just can't handle the long drive up to North Conway. How exciting - your first hotel stay as a family of 4!

    I might have to steal some of your other ideas - the Boston area is definitely doable for us, and I am about to renew my Children's Museum membership with the reciprocal benefits of Boston and Easton (which I had forgotten about!).

    What a fabulous summer you already have planned! I'm all for other days being spent running through the sprinklers at home.

    For craft ideas, try www.familyfun.com - they've got some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete