Saturday, May 31, 2008

just hatched

When I discovered this on my back deck, Google told me that in about two weeks I could expect baby birds, but I was still shocked when I peered in the nest today and saw this.





I will admit that when I first saw these guys I thought they were down right creepy. But this guy sleeping on the egg? I think maybe he is a little cute.



I was not sure if the small crack in the fourth egg meant it was hatching or just broken. I got my answer a few hours later when we had four babies.

9 comments:

  1. Oh cool! They do look strange and alien-like just now, but frankly, don't most newborns? There's something breathtakingly beautiful about their vulnerability, though. I mean, you can see through their skin still, it's so thin and transparent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What amazing photos! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet!!!!!! And the baby sleeping on the egg? How incredibly precious is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are killing me. What is it about baby "anythings" that just pull at your heartstrings? Like desperate housewife said, it's the vulnerability of new life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Those are truly amazing :) you captured some stunning shots of them. So adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu certainly did get some great shots of those creepy little things. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. our little birdies just hatched too!! but sadly they are up way to high so we haven't been able to score a picture!

    thanks for capturing one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great pics! We just had baby birds hatch by us, but the nest is too high up in the tree. I barely got the tips of their beaks. Your pictures are wonderful, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete