Thursday, May 22, 2008

got milk?

Claire is not a milk drinker. She likes it on her cereal, but give her a cup of milk instead of her beloved Tropicana and the cup is getting thrown on the floor or back at you. Yes, I have tried flavored milk. No, she is not fooled. However, she does eat other dairy products and in general her diet is good.

At every checkup the doctor and I discuss her weight, and today's two year checkup was no exception. Claire is average height but her weight is low. Not off the charts low, but barely on the chart low. Really nothing either of us is worried about at this point, but for some reason we still feel the need to talk about it.

The doctor asked how Claire was eating and I replied that she eats very well, except for the fact that she does not like milk.

Does she drink orange juice with calcium? Yes. Other sources of protein? Definitely, yes.

Then don't worry about it at all, he advised.

He went on to point out that while we, as humans, have chosen to drink the breast milk of other animals (put that way eewwww) we are really designed to only drink milk for the first year or so of life. In some cultures, this is still the norm. In others, like ours, we pour the breast milk of other animals over our cereal and turn it into cheese and ice cream.

Have I mentioned I love my pediatrician?

I have decided give up buying fabulous (expensive) organic milk, fighting over it and then pouring it down the drain. If baby girl prefers Tropicana in her cup instead of the breast milk of other animals, so be it.

12 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm a lover of milk myself....so when I read that....ewwwww!!!! I don't like thinking of it that way!!

    Maybe Claire's onto something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a fabulous pediatrician. Lucky you!
    I agree. As long as she is getting calcium and protein from other sources who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I say I'm just a little jealous of your pediatrician?

    What a fabulous way of summing it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could I have the number of your pediatrician so my hubby can chat with him? He's convinced that our 2.5 yr old MUST have milk twice a day...or else! Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a daughter of a crazy "you must drink three glasses of milk a day" mama. and as a new mama who worries about everything...

    i thank you and your pediatrician.

    not sure how far away you live from me, but i might need his number and an appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the opposite problem. My almost 3 yo will ONLY drink milk. She hates juice. It worries me a bit. I do add Carnation Instant Breakfast in her milk (because her diet is the worst). But I still worry. Although, if I think about, it would be hard to believe she will be 20 years old and still refusing any juice. I will assume, and hope, this is just another thing they eventually grow out of.

    I wouldn't worry if I were you. I can't even imagine how many moms there are out there who worry, or worried, about what their child ate for fear of some life threatening condition. And their child turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am just like your girl! I hate milk in a glass. My parents would make me drink it but it never floated my boat.

    I don't even love it with cereal.

    At least I can claim a good reason "other animals' breast milk"
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so I know I already commented before but just stopped by to say thanks for playing POW! with me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, milk is kind of gross, when you think about it as nourishment for baby cows.

    My daughter doesn't drink milk at all, and now I hardly do, either. People forget that calcium does come in other forms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont drink milk either. I wouldnt either as a child, still dont. not even in cereal. So I dont eat cereal. My daughter will not drink it either. My 2 boys will though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never liked milk, either. I've always eaten dry cereal. I look at it like your MD, why should I drink cow milk? It is for baby cows, not people. I have 3 boys and never give them milk either. My husband thought it might help his asthma to give up milk, so he doesn't drink it either. We are all healthy and fine without it.

    We have it for cooking, baking, and my tea. We love the calcium fortified oj, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sugar isn't a milk drinker either. I have never been one to push milk either. She eats tons of other calcium rich foods.

    ReplyDelete