Thursday, June 5, 2008

stop and smell the flowers


This spring Claire has been all about picking flowers. She manages to find them in all sorts of small patches of grass that I never even noticed existed.

"I want pick flowers" she cries excitedly every time she finds one. She then fills her tiny fists with tiny flower bouquets that she drags around with her for hours.



Smell them Mommy, she says excitedly, pushing everything from lilacs to chives under my nose.



When she discovered the pretty pink flowers in our strawberry patch, Abby quickly sounded the alert "NOOOO Claire NOOOO!!!! MOOOMMMMY, come QUICKLY, Claire is picking the strawberries!!" No question, this kid knows the rules.

Patiently, I explained to Claire that we do not pick these flowers because we want them to grow into strawberries.

Mommy, smell the flower she said.

Yes, it is pretty, but we do not pick them I explained again.

Mommy, smell the flower she repeated patiently again and again.

Did you know strawberry flowers smell absolutely beautiful? I had never noticed.

11 comments:

  1. awwwwwwwwww what a tender little spirit. :) I have never smelled strawberry blossoms either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!

    My daughter likes to pick clover and even though it's a weed, it smells lovely.

    Thank goodness for little kids reminding us to stop and smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been going through the same thing this spring. Ladybug has had a fabulous time picking every flower and weed that even resembles a flower.

    Thank goodness we have tons of Dandelions around the yard! I had a very hard time keeping her out of the Daffodils, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. simply adorable.

    as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. Your pretty little flower child. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are such sweet photos. Your girls are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter LOVES to pick flowers. Our neighbors are not so fond of her little hobby, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful anecdote. This is why blogs can double as journaling for our kids. Someday she'll love reading that story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet :) Nothing like a sweet child to remind you to stop and smell the flowers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know that!! Tell Claire thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweetie! Note to self: stop and smell the strawberry flowers!

    ReplyDelete