I was jolted awake at 6:57 am this morning by the sound of a can of soda opening. Wha??? Oh, right I am at my parents summer house. Some people like a nice cup of coffee in the morning. Some like tea. My dad? He enjoys a nice can of Diet Coke. Never the more economical 2 liter bottle, always one can each morning. And for whatever reason the sound of that can opening can be heard throughout the house. By August I will have grown accustomed to it. But this was our first night here.
I drift back to sleep, secure in the knowledge that when the girls wake up there will be loving grandparents awake to great them.
I wake up again at 8 am to a flurry of activity. The boat is leaving earlier, they have to get ready for the boat. I quickly dress Abby, slather her with sunscreen and send her off on a boat ride, her first boat ride, with Grandma and Grandpa.
Which leaves Claire and I. Just the two of us. A rarity for my second child. What do you want to do I ask her. The playground? The beach? Pick flowers she says. So I throw on her cutest sundress and hat, grab my Nikon and out into the field we go.
I drift back to sleep, secure in the knowledge that when the girls wake up there will be loving grandparents awake to great them.
I wake up again at 8 am to a flurry of activity. The boat is leaving earlier, they have to get ready for the boat. I quickly dress Abby, slather her with sunscreen and send her off on a boat ride, her first boat ride, with Grandma and Grandpa.
Which leaves Claire and I. Just the two of us. A rarity for my second child. What do you want to do I ask her. The playground? The beach? Pick flowers she says. So I throw on her cutest sundress and hat, grab my Nikon and out into the field we go.
After she tires of flower picking, we grab lunch at the ridiculously overpriced but oh so quaint little organic market and have a picnic at the beach.
Then it is back home to a blissfully quiet house where Claire agrees to take a nap and I get to spend some quality time editing the 110 photos from the morning.
Then it is off to the beach for some play time, then baths and then out for yummy fried seafood.
The day ends with Claire cuddled up on my lap watching the big yellow moon rise over the field behind the house.
Ahhhh, summer.

That's not Arnold's, is it?? In Orleans?
ReplyDeletelooks like a really really really perfect day. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day! And boy, that sounds like an amazing vacation! You spend the whole summer there? How cool!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun, perfect day! I'm jealous! Can I come over? LOL And I LOVE that first pic of Claire...beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait for many many more posts like this!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderfully idealic. Love the picture of your little girl and flowers. Just beautiful. Happy Summer! : )
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable picture of Claire! How jealous am I - you spend your whole summmer at the Cape? LUCKY!
ReplyDeleteBeing in RI, when I was a kid, we did many a day trip or 3 day weekend. One of my fave memories is Sundae School.
We're thinking of taking the MH there for a few days this summer. Just need to figure out where we want to be!
Can't wait to hear more about your summer adventures!
File this one away. These are the days to remember!
ReplyDeleteJust lovely!
wait...you are going to be there till august?? sooo jealous!!
ReplyDeleteand seriously great pictures!! can't wait to see many, many more :)
Do you mind my asking what part of the Cape you are in? I grew up on the Cape - my family lives there and we'll be visiting this summer too. :) Sounds like you are having a blast already. I love the picture of your daugther picking flowers.
ReplyDeleteAh, summer, indeed. Sounds just perfect. May I come?
ReplyDelete