By 8:30 this morning I was all out of good mommy. This was unfortunate because we have to leave the house at 8:30 to bring Abby to preschool. My kids get up around 7:30 which means on most mornings at 8:30 I am cleaning up after breakfast and having a cup of coffee while the girls watch some morning television. Harmony.
However on school days we need to get moving faster. We rush though feeding, potty, dressing and all the usual battles over hair brushing, clothes, accessories and missing shoes. This morning as we were heading out the door Abby had a meltdown because she was trying to balance a balloon on a rolled up piece of paper and it was not working the way she wanted. In case you are wondering this balloon was not a school project or in any way related to getting ready for school.
How exactly is it that I am responsible for every detail of getting all of us ready and out the door? At the very least can't I expect my four year old to focus on what we are doing rather than other random stuff? Especially if what we are doing is taking her to school? After throwing the balloon out of the car I attempted to get Abby's thoughts on these questions. The conversation could have gone better.
Typically, even on mornings like this I can muster up a good mommy routine at school. I am all "Good morning!!" and "Sweetie, lets hang up your coat!" and "Claire, honey, come back please!". But this morning I just could not do it. I was all out of good mommy.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love your new header.
ReplyDeleteoh...and sometimes....we are just plain empty. recognizing it is a good thing.
hugs.
Getting the kids ready for the day is one of my most stressful times. It's all rush, rush, rush, rush. Kids just don't have the same sense of urgency that we do.
ReplyDeleteThat's what makes being a kid so much fun!
I hope you get your good mommy back soon!