Claire is 21 months old, and she is so much fun that I think this might just be the perfect age. The frustrations of babyhood like teething, sleepless nights and crying for no apparent reason have passed. The toddler tantrums have not yet started. She is big enough to play by herself or with other kids without being a constant threat to herself (choking!! falling!!). I can go to the bathroom or even take a shower.
And the personality, oh how it has blossomed. Her voice is both forceful and sweet as she narrates her world for us in full, grown-up sentences. She knows what she likes: books, orange juice, the letter O, the moon, Dora and Ariel Mermaid. She gets what is going on. She remembers things. She makes us laugh.
But she is still small enough to rock to sleep at night. Still small enough to pick up easily. Still a cuddly little wiggle worm. She still bounces when she walks the way only babies do. I do not expect much from her. She is too young for potty training or dressing herself or picking up her toys. Everything thing she does seems like a bonus. She knows her colors! And the birthday song! And the letter O! Brilliant.
It might be her easy going personality or the fact that she is the second child, but everything with her seems so fun and so easy. As I write this, I know that next month or the month after will probably bring something totally different but these last couple of months sure have been good.
So Claire, I know you are anxious to grow up and be just like your big sister but I would not mind if you wanted to stay this age for just a bit longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love this post. I have been saying for about a year that if I could push pause on sugar...I would, and keep her this age forever. sigh....love my girl.
ReplyDelete