My daughter, she lives life with the intensity of a thousand suns. Every request, every observation, every idea must be expressed immediatly and dramitically. Every plan must be acted on immediatly. Any obstacles to completing said plan must be removed immediatly.
Wait a minute. Patience. These phrases have no place in this girl's world.
It. Is. Exhusting.
And now she has found a new favorite word. WHY. Suddenly she most know all about how everything works.
Couple this with her already intense way of living and you get something like this:
Can I have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch? Okay, here is the bread mommy. Here mommy, HERE. Is the bread moldy mommy? Why does bread get moldy? What is mold? Is it like a mole? 'cause I like moles. Can I spread the peanut butter? Please? Please? ... I can't do it. You do it mommy. YOU DO IT. YOU DO IT. I want it cut like a pumpkin (waves pumpkin cookie cutter). Okay? OKAY? What makes the bread mommy? What, Mommy what?
... brief pause while sandwich is consumed...
Does the clock at the library ding dong at midnight? I think it does because the one in my Barbie movie does?
Mommy, does snow make ice? (it is July, it is 80 degrees out) Do you remember that time it snowed? Do you remember mommy? And Daddy made a snow ball? ... What makes wind mommy? You know when the leaves make noise? I don't like that. It is scarey....
And then there are the really fun questions:
Why do you wear a bra?
Why does Daddy squeeze out his pee? I saw it once?
My head aches. My ears ache. Sometimes I call my mother and put Abby on just to give my ears a break.
And my parents? They understand. In fact I am pretty sure they hang up the phone in their quiet house by the sea and just laugh and laugh.
You see, I have heard that they once had a little girl just like this. And no, I do not have a sister.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's that lovely thing of getting a child just like you! Thanks for sharing... that put a smile on my face. :)
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA!!! I can relate! :)
ReplyDeletetee hee :)
ReplyDeleteit really is crazy though isn't it? to watch your little one grow to be just like you!
oh how happy and giddy our parents must really be :)
I had no idea motherhood would be so NOISY. They constant questioning does seem to taper off, but the questions that do come just get harder to answer, lol.
ReplyDeleteOMG I totally have one of those too!! My four year old never stops - and yes, I got the bra question recently too. Some days I wish I had ear plugs, but then I realize I'd miss something too funny and I couldn't blog about it :-)
ReplyDeletep.s. my parents too, lol ;-)
Addy talks our ears off, too, but half the time we still can't really understand her. I can't wait (I THINK!) to hear what's going through her head!
ReplyDeleteOh yes the questions - they just never seem to stop, do they?! I think most of us can relate to this! The peanut butter sandwhich paragraph totally made me laugh! : )
ReplyDeleteHa! I loved your post!! But now I am a little scared when Bella will start talking...
ReplyDeleteHappy POW!
This was a great post. I feel like I live this everyday times two! Stop with the questions, please.
ReplyDeletePopsicles slow down the mouth too, just saying...
Oh, I am laughing so hard and crying, because my daughter is talking my head off as I type... "do you know what a comigon is mom? do you? Do you know what shape it is? Is it an octigon? Mom? Mom? Mom?" Now she is hanging on my leg, better go! Happy POW!
ReplyDeleteBest closing line of a post. EVER!
ReplyDeleteYour posts are so much fun to read, did you know that?!
We are in the "Why" phase at our house...I feel like we have been stuck in it for 2 years straight.
Help meeeeeee!!! :)
Wait, are we related...because I have a little girl exactly like that at my house!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, just reading that exhausted me.
ReplyDeleteI guess karma is real.
I bet your parents really are laughing!!
This is too funny...not funny for you but she sounds adorable. Guess this is something to look forward to. The questions!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy POW!!
I am naive. I thought we were going to gloss right over the WHY phase.
ReplyDeleteHow silly of me. It happened overnight.
And not to the intensity (yet) that you are describing, but with a LOT of intensity.
I get why's to questions I have just answered.
And DH has come up with the perfect answer when all of our others fail: Because I love you.
And then she giggles because we've completely thrown her for a loop.
Works most of the time - for now.
We start pre-school in the fall, and I'm quite sure I'll be emailing you and sharing my woes.
It is quite exhausting, but after all, it does provide for some fabulous blogging material!
These are the days, right?
Ahhh yes and the questions only get harder as they get older.
ReplyDelete