Monday, July 7, 2008

the new summer routine

I am one of those moms that likes routine. When my first born was a baby her sleep time was so precious that I would turn down invitations that interfered with her nap time. Nap time, snack time, meal time, bedtime. I liked to keep things predictable. I liked to keep bedtime early. I was a big fan of books like Baby Wise and Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child.

With the addition of a second baby, things got a bit more relaxed but mealtimes, nap times and bedtime remained pretty constant. Sleep is important, I told myself. Routine is important, I told myself.

Until now.

Suddenly we are outside, the girls filthy, sweaty and happy, until the sun sets. Our backyard has become our little fenced in oasis. The girls run and play, making all kinds of 'stews' up in their tree house as I read, garden or grill up dinner. They occasionally stop to eat and then float off to continue their play.

They catch bugs. They pretend they are puppies and chase each other. They make up songs.

"Catch us!" they shout, and I come sit at the end of the slide as they take turns cheering and sliding into my arms. No one notices that it is 8pm. No one notices that the regular 6pm bath time is long past.

With no preschool schedule to follow we pretty much make up our days as we go. It is hot? Let's head over to the beach. Want to watch a movie? Why not. Tired because you are two years old and you have not had a nap in a few days? Sure, I will bring you to your crib.

Our weekends are filled with swimming, cookouts, parades and fireworks. All the best of childhood summer fun. No more worries over missed naps or late bedtimes.

Strangely, I find that this suits us. The girls have adjusted to their later bed time and increased activity by sleeping later. Our days begin hours after my hard working husband has left for work at 6 am.

I am more relaxed. I am more often the kind of mother I want to be.

It would seem that four and a half years into this motherhood gig, I have finally discovered the magic of summer. Apparently all I needed to do was let myself relax.

6 comments:

  1. love it friend.

    so glad you girls are enjoying every ounce of summer.

    i am going to have to remember this post so that when beans is older i too can step back from the schedule and routine and just enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! You are right - the best times can be when you just relax and not stress out about the little stuff. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT post! You have truly captured what it's all about. They have forever to sleep, and they'll let you know when they're tired. But these are the moments you never get back - good for you for noticing that and letting go of your scheduled routine. It sounds like it's working out just perfectly for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well good for you!! It's a constant struggle for me, and I've had over 8 years of it. call me slow LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm glad you found summer magic!

    I need to find it again. Under the boxes and piles of laundry I really need to find it again.

    P.S. Beautifully written post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific post, with infants I need that routine as much as they do but when they're bigger let them roam.

    This is my first summer not having a child so small that they need constant supervision, it has been a revelation and I am loving it.

    Well when the sun shines I am anyhow!

    ReplyDelete