Tuesday, July 1, 2008

where I am supposed to be

As we left the library today, a much older couple happened to be walking down the street. Claire, of course, had to stop and pick some weeds. The couple smiled brightly at the sight of her. Then they stopped and watched her, talking to each other, perhaps remembering a similar moment with a child, a grandchild or maybe even a great grandchild.

So I stopped too. And I saw what they saw. Instead of a toddler that needed to hurry the heck up, I saw a beautiful little girl in a blue dress picking weeds in the summer sun.

Then the church bells rang out. Except they were not the regular church bells, they were for the funeral we had passed on the way over.

All of a sudden I was completely overwhelmed by all that I have to be thankful for in my life. My two beautiful, healthy girls. My ability to be with them, to watch them and enjoy them in the most ordinary of moments.

I wiped the tears from my eyes as they climbed in the car and we headed home. All the other stuff - the outrageous amount of money spent filling the car with gas, the bickering over who likes Ariel Mermaid the most, a certain someone waking up her sister at nap time, the countless needs and chores that followed, none of it could touch the happiness I felt for the rest of the day.

None of it could touch the joy I found just being with my girls as they ate and laughed and played.

There are days when I doubt my decision to give up my career, to give up financial stability, to give up all the opportunities that women before me have worked for, so I can spend all day every day changing diapers, keeping house and taking orders from pint sized people.

Today I have no doubts. I am where I am supposed to be.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. That was just what I needed to hear.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfectly said friend.

    just perfect.

    thanks for reminder too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. These moments will be gone before we know it and thanks for the reminder that I am also just where I am supposed to be. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing. Beautiful. What it should ALWAYS be about. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's when I see my life through another person's eyes that I most often realize what a truly joyful one I have. If my daughter can make someone else smile, then surely I should be smiling too. It's a great reminder to slow down and let them pick flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's gorgeous. I love those moments. I always wish I could hang on to that clarity forever, but it seems to fade through the day. So thanks for bringing it back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you for taking a moment to take it all in :) Such a great post. Exactly what this WAHM turned SAHM needed to read. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when these "meant to be" moments happen! Makes all the other stuff we SAHM's go through seem so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully written...

    Happy POW

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful and of course true.

    I just wush I didn't need reminding of it so often and just enjoyed every sinlge moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well said. you should look this up & read it: really great about living in the moment with your children.
    http://www.mayasmom.com/talk/a11375/by_anna_quindlen_newsweek_columnist_and_author

    on another note - either claire or abby should totally give up Ariel for Jasmine - way cooler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great sentiment. All too often we just don't take that time to stop and enjoy them and then before we know it they are all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could have written the exact same thing, word for word (except the grocery store, not the library, lol). Thanks for the reminder for sure. It's hard not to get caught up in the day to day stuff, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete