The weather has been hot, hot hot. I have washed more bathing suits, dirty faces and sandy butts than I care to count. I have applied more sunscreen, kissed more boo-boos and endured more tantrums than I care to count. I have sunburned myself, repeatedly. At this very moment my ankle is swollen up like a melon after being attacked by green flies while leaving the beach yesterday.
Summer is kicking my ass.
Yet, somehow this summer has also been one of the best summers of my life and I am in no hurry for it to end.
Our recent vacation, after getting off to a rough start, actually ended up being one of the most relaxing that I can remember since Abby was born. The overcast mornings were perfect for sleeping in. Daddy took the girls on coffee runs and spoiled them with treats every chance he got. The sunny afternoons were perfect for playing in the sand and splashing in the water. The sunsets were beautiful and a movie before bed became a nightly treat. Timeouts were non-existent. Patience was restored.
Back home, we seem to continue on in vacation mode. With Abby off at camp in the mornings, my baby girl and I have gotten to spend some special time together. Afternoons are spent with friends at the beach or the backyard pool. Time outs are still non-existent. I am still patient.
This afternoon, my two very overtired girls are taking extra long naps. I am tired too, but the good kind of tired. Tired from the beach and the sun. Tired from going and doing. Tired from all the fun of summer with two little girls.
These are pretty good times, bugs, tantrums and sandy bums included.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad you are enjoying the summer. I'm enjoying mine too but I get excited every time I glance at the calendar...the countdown to preschool and Kindergarten is on!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys had a great trip. I love vacation mode...there's just nothing like the beach.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the green flies...yikes!
P.S. I tagged you for a 7 facts meme. I'm always hesitant to tag people...don't know if ya like 'em or not. So no pressure!!! Just thought I'd let ya know. :)
sounds wonderful friend.
ReplyDeletea good little summer a** kickin :)
I broke down in tears last week and BEGGED my husband to help plan a family vacation. We've never taken a true vacation as a family, and I am just itching to get the tradition started. I LOVE the way that you have described it....it may be a butt kicking, crotch punching time, but it will be MY butt kicking, crotch punching time! I can't wait!
ReplyDeletesounds heavenly! Lazy mornings, messy faces, and treats - how fabulous!
ReplyDeleteIf you fall into bed at the end of the day with a contented sigh, it was all worth it. I love summers like that.
ReplyDelete