I look forward to weekends and vacations, but the crushing reality is that these times with two young children are no different than every other day as a stay at home mother.
The kids wake up early. They are in constant motion. Even when they play with each other, there is a steam of demands, questions and requests the must be dealt with. Where is my seahorse toy? Can you read this? Can you put this in my hair? Can you put on this dress, mommy, please, please, please? Mom, Claire did ___! I poopy Mommy! I hungry! I thirsty! Look at me Mommy, look at me! I WAAANNT ARIIEEELL! WAHHHAAA!! Can I fly on a rocket to space, mommy, please, please, please?
The need isn't the same as when they were little babies. It is easier but it is also harder. It is constant. It is loud. It is often mind numbingly boring.
Recently as I applied eyeliner to my second eye, Abby sternly informed Claire that there was a line and she was first so Claire would have to wait. A line formed as I attempted to apply eyeliner to not one but two eyes.
I can not have a full conversation without being interrupted, without having one ear on what they are doing. I cannot finish a cup of tea without being interrupted. I cannot think something without being interrupted. Even my thoughts are not my own. I cannot get lost in thought because after an average of two minutes someone will loudly be demanding something.
Anything I might want to do- read, write, spend time with my husband, watch TV that is not PBS- gets crammed into the few short hours at night when I am tired and should be sleeping. I stay up too late. My head aches. But what am I supposed to do- go five years without writing or reading or thinking?
Yesterday we packed up and headed for a week of family vacation on the Cape. After a day of packing and driving and then a small incident with the house keys, we finally arrived at 10:30 last night. We tucked the girls into their waiting beds and went about the business of unpacking and organizing.
This morning I was awoken by the girls at 6:30. I will watch them yell and play and argue for a few of hours. My husband will try to sleep though the racket. Tomorrow it will be my turn.
Next I will go food shopping, because even on vacation kids need their regular meals and snacks. A diet of beer and chips just doesn't cut it anymore. Then I will fill out the paper work and go get a beach sticker. I will prepare food and clean up food and try to fit in a shower and pray for naps, just like every other day.
It will get better. I am sure I will be back in a few days with wonderful stories and pictures, because really we are so lucky two be here, the four of us together and healthy. We are in a house with million dollar views of the ocean and a room just for my kids. It is stocked with organic foods, wine, chocolate and my kid's favorite snacks. It has high speed Internet, cable TV with DVR and baskets of toys for my kids. What more do I want? What is wrong with me?
I am lucky. So lucky in so many ways. I know this.
I know these are the days I will want to remember. And soon the caffeine will work it's magic and I will catch a glimpse of my daughters doing something sweet and it will warm my heart.
But this morning, this very first morning of our vacation I am sitting here snapping at my already very overtired kids as they fight over who knows what, my head is aching and my eyes are filled with tears of bitter disappointment. There is no vacation from this job. Sometimes that just sucks, especially at 6:30 in the morning.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know how you feel. I go into every weekend excited. But by 9:00am on Saturday I realize that it's not really the weekend, just another day.
ReplyDeleteAnd like you, I know how lucky I am but at the same time, a little tiny break would be so nice.
I can say though that now that my kids are 4 and 5 and sleeping in on the weekends, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Hang in there and I hope you enjoy your vacation...especially tomorrow morning when you get to sleep in!
hugs my friend!
ReplyDeleteIt is my opinion that nearly always vacations are really NOT relaxing. especially with children. They are out of their element and usually get rather grumpy.
I am crossing my fingers that things get better....SOON!
This was eye opening for me. I leave on Friday for an east coast vacation with my two and four year old, and six month old baby (she is a breeze though, it's the other two who will kill me). I totally know what you're feeling, as I'm sure it will be me next weekend. I will be more tired than normal, more worn-out, less patient, and will watch all my delusional vacation expectations go down the drain.
ReplyDeleteI hope things get better and better for this week. I hope for exhausted kids who will sleep in, hours at some new-found activity that occupies their time, and mostly importantly, a little bit of a break for mom, who needs one and deserves one.
I know exactly how you feel and I think it's only normal but at the end of the day, it's all good.
ReplyDeleteI had this exact thought on Friday afternoon. I used to look forward to the weekend, sleeping in, going to a movie or something... Now I look forward to it because my husband is home and I have a little back-up, but sleeping in is a thing of the past. I have a 4-year-old Abby too, and a 2-year-old Noah who is a total wild man these days.
ReplyDeleteEverything you described - not having being able to have a complete thought or a conversation, mind turning to mush, etc... I know EXACTLY what you mean. It can be so frustrating sometimes.
But then, like you said, there are those sweet moments that are so priceless, that remind you how precious and short-lived this time really is... which was my motivation for posting that Anna Quindlen quote on my blog - to remind myself when I am having one of those days.
Can't wait to see some wonderful vacation pics. Sounds like a great place! Even though you're doing the same mommy stuff, it is nice to have a change of scenery once in awhile.
Yup, I know exactly what you mean! Our "vacation" at the beach was nice, except it really wasn't a vacation for me. I got so much less sleep, I ran around crazier than normal, and I felt completely jet lagged when we finally got home.
ReplyDeleteAnd summer vacation is very similar since everyone is home, including hubby. This morning, he actually took her to swim team practice and then is running errands. It is just me and my 2 little ones and is very reminiscent of school days. I am very calm, happy and organized. I love summer, but the school year is much more of a vacation for me!
When you're a SAHM, vacations can be ever MORE stressful than normal. You pull your kids away from the familiar, and that means a lot more work for mom. I'm so sorry that you're feeling so stressed. Hopefully you'll get some relaxation time while you're there!
ReplyDeleteWhew, i got wore out just reading that! We all have those days where it catches up with us all at once. Vacation came at a great time!!
ReplyDeleteAmen. Everyday is an "on" day. Hope you and the hubby can tag-team and find some enjoyment on your vacation!
ReplyDeleteCheers to this comment, because I could not relate more if I tried... REALLY hard!
ReplyDelete"Anything I might want to do- read, write, spend time with my husband, watch TV that is not PBS- gets crammed into the few short hours at night when I am tired and should be sleeping. I stay up too late. My head aches."
Ditto, but with 2 boys instead of 2 girls. We are blessed but that doesn't mean it isn't hard at times! : )
ReplyDeleteI hear you loud and clear. Try to get some rest and enjoy your vacation. I'm told there will be a day when they are grown up and we will miss this...so I've heard :)
ReplyDeleteOh, man. :-( I know myself I often say that I need a vacation FROM vacation and that's WITHOUT kids. SO I can only imagine how exhausting vacation (and life!) is WITH kids. Can hubby watch them for a bit so you can maybe go take a SOLITARY stroll on the beach? or bring a book and a blanket and get in like an hour of uninterrupted reading???
ReplyDeleteThis was so well written and really expresses what so many mother feel, obviously by all the comments.
ReplyDeleteThis is why I'm taking a weekend on the birthday, with no children. I've warned my husband nearly 6 months in advance so he can stop freaking out about it soon!
so very true friend.
ReplyDeleteand perfectly said.
we just got home yesterday. i need sleep. and i need another vacation!
Ahhh the joys of motherhood. It never ends does it. I was thinking as I was reading this though while now you just hope for a moment alone to apply eye liner without your children fighting over who gets to watch first soon you'll be wishing they wanted to be with you so much. Isn't it funny how life works?
ReplyDeleteI'm here from POW and I'm glad I stopped by. I liked this post because it is REAL!! That is how we all feel at times and I'm glad you had the courage to put it out there and vent. I'm sure you feel better now. Hey, it's almost like therapy, right?
ReplyDeleteFrom the way you described how you kids talked I'm thinking that mine are older than yours and it really does get easier. And it really does go so quick.
I definitely could have written this post and totally know how you feel. We are leaving on vacation next week and part of me really dreads it. Because my husband works and he needs a break, I know that he needs to sleep in and such, but so do I. That conversation happens every year through my tear-filled eyes.
ReplyDeleteHope you get a break soon!
I hear you. There is no vacation and there is no calling in sick.
ReplyDeleteHope the caffeine has kicked in and cast a warm glow over everything.
Or take a leaf from my book, take your in laws on vacation with you. That's what we just did and it was divine. I actually managed to read a whole book. (and not a kids book). Magical!
I could've written this post myself. Life is hectic with two little kids but I wouldn't change it for the world. A day off would be nice, though. Hang in there! One day, you'll only remember the good days.
ReplyDeleteBeth, come over and let's commiserate together. I'll have the wine waiting.
ReplyDeleteOh man... every time I daydream about quitting my job and staying home with my peanut, I remember what hard, thankless days a SAHM can have. I hope you're able to find some time for yourself during your vacation.
ReplyDeletei hear you! glad things looked up after a few days. our vacation started dismally this year, too, but got better as the kids settled in to a new place and all that. still, what i wouldn't give for a couple weeks off! (during which i would probably be aching for my kids again). the irony is rich.
ReplyDelete