I have been avoiding it since school ended- a morning of running errands with both children. With a loud whiny, impatient four year old and a fussy, irrational two year old. One child I can handle. Preferably the little one. But two together? On a sunny day with temperatures approaching 90 degrees? Uuugh.
Since school ended I have managed to get my errands done while someone is home to watch at least one of the girls. Or I have just skipped town, avoiding shopping and cooking altogether.
But today was my day of reckoning. Our supply Pampers was low. We were in desperate need of food. A birthday party appeared on the calendar out of nowhere and a present was needed.
The whining and the threats began before we even left the house. No treats! We won't even go to the party! (how I would love to actually follow through on that one)
In the car, I encouraged Abby to think about what this friend of hers might like for her birthday. What are her favorite things? What does she like to play with? What did she bring for show and tell?
The result of this attempt to think about others? Abby concluded that she herself needed a new princess doll and that the best way to get that princess doll would be to begin whining and begging immediately, before we even got to the store, before we even saw what dolls they had, before it was even physically possible for me to buy her a doll to stop her awful whining even if I wanted to.
Finally we arrived and I made my way around the store, with at least one child crying or fussing at all times.
Buy me something!
I need that!
I no want go this way!! I want go that way!!!
I silently filled the cart with what I hoped would be enough deodorant, tampons and Pampers to last us the rest of the summer. Things hit a fever pitch when it came time to select the present. We (they) barely made it out alive.
The food store went slightly better, only because I agreed up front to the purchase of goldfish and a pack of gum in exchange for decent behavior. One box of pasta thrown from the cart and one episode of screaming hysterics over a stubbed toe qualifies as decent behavior in case you are wondering.
Two hours and $250 later, we made it home.
Remember when shopping used to be fun? Relaxing even?
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know it's not fun, I have been there!! The good news is it gets better the more you do it. I often am forced to take at least two with me, so I have learned from *many* mistakes made along the way. If you're able to do it with one or none some of the time - that is your best option!! But when you're really screwed and you must go with both of them . . . set the expectations firmly before you even leave the house. Tell them all the good things that will happen, things they CAN do, and what a reward might be at the end. If they cross the "boundaries" you have set, make sure they know the consequences of this too.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you made it home alive, that is usually the sign to me that it was all a success. That and if we all have a pulse :-)
thanks for explaining the decent behavior...
ReplyDeletei will remember that when beans is a little older :)
glad you made it home safe & sound!!
I think that my kids might just be used to it as well - we go out a lot during the day, because it drives me nuts to sit at home all day every day. Of course some days are worse than others, so I understand,
ReplyDeleteGlad you all made it out alive!!
I hate shopping for other kids' birthday parties. It turns my four year old into a greedy monster.
ReplyDeleteYou are a brave woman. I don't grocery shop with both kids...I only go when my husband can watch them. I just can't deal with it.
ReplyDeleteNope. I can't remember when shopping used to be fun and relaxing. I can't remember the last time I went into a store alone. I always have my three boys attached to me. Luckily they are pretty decent in the store most of the time. It is the other small percentage of time that drives me batty.
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it out okay. ;)
Hmmm...so what you are telling me is to enjoy my solo-shopping (or duo with Big D) while I can, huh? LOL
ReplyDeleteI shop with my kids all the time, but I always bribe them with something small EVERY time. I will not grocery shop with them though, that just sucks it out of me, I need my brain for grocery shopping.
ReplyDeleteI usually try to go with only one or no boys to the store myself. But on Monday we had NO food and we all had to go. We came out pretty good. Baby just hollared the entire time and busted open a can of biscuits. No biggie! ; ) In other words, I feel your pain...
ReplyDeleteHey, I like that idea! I hate shopping with the kids too so maybe I should just buy in bulk...to last the whole year!
ReplyDelete