Friday, April 25, 2008

the baby lust- a friday haiku

Haiku Friday


A brand new baby,
The creation of new life.
What could be sweeter?

My two little girls,
The most amazing blessing.
A perfect family.

Another baby?
Just crazy, crazy, crazy.
What am I thinking?


I have got the baby lust. Maybe it is the sweet spring air. Maybe it is the card that arrived today announcing the birth of an adorable little girl that is sleeping in my bassinet. Or my former bassinet. The one I gave to a friend who found herself unexpectedly expecting her third child. Because we are done having babies. All done. Our little family is perfect. No need for baby stuff here.

Maybe it is the friend that is ready to give birth to her third child any day now.

Any day now she will look into the eyes of her tiny newborn baby for the first time. She will smell that sweet newborn smell. She will savor the expressions, the softness, the newness that they grow out of so quickly. A completely new person to know and to nurture. To snuggle close and love like nothing else.

I can't remember anything else about having a newborn. Can you?

This is not the first time I have thought about having another baby. We have discussed the pros and cons. All the practical pros and cons. And made the practical decision that our family is perfect as it is. But that does not stop the baby lust.

9 comments:

  1. Babies are so cute! But it reminds me of a scene in Jurassic Park:

    "It starts with the 'oooing' and the 'aaaahing' and ends with the screaming."


    But it is tempting, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your girls are adorable! great ku! our girls are great as well, but we will be trying for a third child sometime at the end of the year or so. kids are great and as much as i love my two girls, i have room for another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never wanted another after our third... he is a great kid, we were just done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh babies are so intoxicating! I understand exactly what you mean!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had baby lust since I went back to work after staying home with my boy for 4 months. I see little babies now and it pulls at my uterus strings. I see my baby and I can't believe that we may just not have another who could be just as great as he is.

    Ah, babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My DD is 10 months ... my baby fever passed months ago LOL gimme a few years! Your LOs are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I think I'd like another baby, but then I remember how tired I was with Paige, and I'm not sure I can do more of that staying up all night stuff with another baby. Plus, I worry about silly things, like that I'd like one of the kids better than the other, and spending an appropriate amount of one on one time with each of them, and how I'd afford it, and all of that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmmm... babies!

    uh. wait. no. um. never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally in the same position. I really feel the yearning. I really want one.

    ReplyDelete