Thursday, April 3, 2008

silly, silly girl

I thought I was beyond story time anxiety. This is my second child after all. I have done story time before. I am a pro at sign up. I know where to go and where to sit. I have done the mommy dating scene and I am not even particularly looking for any new friends.

Yet this morning, I found myself carefully getting ready for the first session. Makeup or no makeup? Hair up or down? I generally do not bother much with what I look like. I shower on a regular basis and highlight my hair. Every few months I even head over to The Gap to freshen up my mommy wardrobe. But I just don’t have the time or energy for much daily primping.

I decided on makeup and hair up. After all, I did not want to look like I was actually trying to look good or anything. And the finishing touch? Ridiculously expensive sunglasses, of course. For Claire, I selected one of her cutest Talbot’s Kids sweaters, jeans, fancy pink shoes and of course pigtails with matching ribbons. As I write this, even I am embarrassed to know me. I know better, but I just can’t help myself. And of course as soon as we got there, I felt ridiculously silly as I looked around at the 10 other average, friendly looking moms. And even a grandma.

But as we waved our puppets and sang nursery rhymes, I took a closer look at the other mom and baby pairs. I saw a crawling baby in a dress and tights. Moms in sweats and suspiciously cute shoes. Even the grandmother was wearing a pretty hip looking sweatshirt. Perhaps I am not the only silly, silly girl out there after all?

1 comment:

  1. You should see my collection of carefully casual yet very hip mom-shoes.

    You are not alone, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete