Saturday, April 26, 2008

a perfect park day


I love city parks. Central Park, The Luxembourg Gardens and of course Boston's Public Garden are among my favorites.

I love the fact that these parks attract people from all walks of life, from the newest of babies to the most elderly. Some people are dressed up. Some people are practically naked to soak up the sun. People are running. People are painting. People are sleeping. People are in large groups. People are alone. There are families, there are lovey couples and there are tourists of all kinds. There is usually music of some sort coming from some place.

All of it adds up to an amazing feeling of life and energy.

Before children, I would spend hours just enjoying the fresh air, watching the people and maybe taking a few pictures or doing some reading.

My trips to the park with my girls are obviously quite different. There is very little sitting around. They are all action- chasing birds, chasing squirrels, chasing each other, trying to fall in the pond and of course tumbling around the playground. They sit on my fabulous picnic blanket just long enough to eat and then they are off again.

There are things I enjoy about the park in all seasons, but a few times a year we get perfect park days here in Boston, when the weather is warm and sunny but not yet hot.

Yesterday was one of these rare perfect days, so I packed up the girls and the double stroller and headed for the city.


It was a perfect day. The beautiful, hundred year old trees were in full bloom. The air smelled of sweet cherry blossoms. Our Daddy meet us for lunch and bought the girls balloons. The girls ran and played until they collapsed into the stroller, exhausted.

I will savor the memories as the weather turns rainy and our preschool battles resume this coming week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not that far outside of Boston - and you make the park look so tempting...but I'm horrible at driving in Boston and I wouldn't know where to park my car. Guess I'm just the country mouse. :) Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i puffy heart long days at the park too :)

    the girls look like they do too!!

    so fun and so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would give anything to bring my girls to a park like that...what a blessing. Thanks for sharing this beautiful part of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love big city parks too! We don't live near one, but whenever we travel, going to the park is a must!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete