Saturday, April 12, 2008

suddenly, spring

Finally spring has come to my little Boston suburb. For weeks there have been little signs of change- days are longer, plants are sprouting, baseball is on TV- and now suddenly, it is spring.

I love the transformation that takes place in my neighborhood at this time of year. Suddenly everyone is outside again. Adults are walking dogs, working on yards or simply gossiping. Groups of children run from house to house. Suddenly my front yard is littered with bikes, scooters, balls and chalk. Some belong to my children, some to neighbors that have passed through during the course of the day. Even snacks are eaten outside with dirty fingers because I can not bear to force the kids inside.

At the end of the day, I sat on the front step with the girls slumped against me. We were tired, but we were not ready to go inside. So we sat and simply watched the cars come and go. We listened to the frogs and the bugs sing. We breathed in the sweet smell of spring.

Some days I have my doubts about living in this suburban land of the SUV, but on days like this I can not imagine any place better for us.

3 comments:

  1. We have been house hunting all winter long. I've been patiently waiting to see what the neighborhoods look like when spring arrives! I want to know if people are out and about in their yards and on the street.

    I love spring. Too bad it's supposed to snow here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel about the suburbs. Sometimes bland and boring, but in the warm months? It is blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're also just outside of Boston! Yesterday's weather was just spectacular wasn't it? We even spent half the day outside walking and soaking up the signs of spring :)

    Glad you had a chance to do the same!

    ReplyDelete