Friday, April 4, 2008

manners, please

This morning involved the usual routine. Wake up late, rush to get ready, fight with Abby about clothes, hair brushing and using the potty all in the hope of getting the three of us out of the house at 8:30 for preschool drop off.

This morning Claire slept until 8:20. Not a problem. I planned to just throw a coat and boots over her pajamas for the ride and give her breakfast when we got home. But as we were in the final, grumpy stages of getting out the door, Claire asked for some Cheerios.

Some Cheerios, she asked, pointing at the box on the counter. Want some please, mommy? Cheerios please, Mommy?

We will eat when we get home I muttered in what was definitely not my most loving, patient mommy voice.

Undeterred, Claire went and got a small plastic bag. She brought it to me and again asked in her sweet, hopeful voice for Cheerios please. Still grumpy, I tossed some in the bag and handed it to her with a grunt.

And what did my sweet, almost two year old girl say to this?

"Thank you, Mommy!"

Exactly who is setting the example for who around here?

3 comments:

  1. The oldest is making her bed and the youngest is using her manners and helping with "breakfast". How fantastic!


    Isn't it funny how they can hit you right in the gut without ever laying a hand on you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like what this blog is revealing about me...

    It would seem I am a total slacker worried about how I look while my kids are teaching themselves housekeeping and manners.

    In my defense I did scoop the baby up, apologize for being so grumpy and give her lots of kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great that the do housekeeping. I make all of mine do some stuff around the place and I think it sets a fantastic example to children if mum has to say sorry every now and them. Humility is a wonderful personality trait!

    ReplyDelete