Thursday, April 24, 2008

the wonder and the magic

For the last two days, I have rocked this motherhood thing.

Yesterday, we hosted the perfect playdate. I invited over a friend of Abby's from school with a cool seeming mother and a younger sibling. Someone for everyone.

At the scheduled time I was showered, my kids were both neatly dressed and my house was the perfect balance of clean and messy. Just clean enough that they would not think we are total slobs and just messy enough that they would not think I am some neurotic clean freak that does not let her kids play with toys.

My new mom friend and I drank coffee and chatted easily as the kids played together. The kids then moved outside to run around and enjoy a peanut butter sandwich picnic. Things went so well that for a second date they invited us to the aquarium as their guests.

Then the day got even better. At dinner time, I announced to the girls that tomorrow we would be going to the zoo with grandma. Oh, the excitement. It was like they had won the kid lottery. The zoo and grandma. Two of the most exciting things in the whole world. All night they positively quivered with pure excitement. Excitement so intense, I could not help but be excited too.

This morning was bliss. They woke up excited. They were happy to get dressed. Happy to pile into the car. The mere mention of the word zoo kept them on their best behavior.

The actual zoo trip went about as well as any zoo trip with a toddler and a preschooler can go. We saw lots of animals. We saw lots of animal poo. Fun was had. Treats were bought. They got hot. They got tired. They got whiny. My mom and I ended up pushing 60 pounds of whiny kid up hill through the entire zoo and back to our car parked miles away.

Now both girls are sleeping. Not fitful restless sleep, but the deep peaceful sleep of deliriously happy children that have enjoyed days filled with fresh air and fun.

Suddenly, it seems like I am doing pretty well at this motherhood thing. Suddenly, it is fun. Finally, it is what I signed up for two years ago when I left my big job in the big city. As I look forward to the summer ahead, I feel what the girls felt last night. Pure excitement.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...a playdate, the aquarium, AND zoo visit all within a couple days of each other...you ARE doing pretty well at the mothering thing!

    And making ME look lazy, thank you very much. :)

    p.s. My favorite part was the part about how you got your house clean, but not too clean....that is so me when I have other moms over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great couple of days! I love it when things go so well that being a Mom is more fun than it is taxing. Glad you're having some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i sooo can't wait to take beans to the zoo for the first time :)

    you have me so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is THAT! Enjoy it. Some days you're the buy and some days you're the windshield it seems! Enjoy being the windshield! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Read it next time motherhood is stressing you out and you need a reminder that you are a good mama! :)

    ReplyDelete