Tuesday, April 29, 2008

mommy's little helper

We have all been told that television is bad for kids. Bad. Evil. Promotes violence. Leads to obesity. Decreases IQ. And that is if your kid is over the age of two. If they are under two, don't even think about turning on the Elmo. He is down right toxic. You might as well go out and get some lead paint for the crib instead.

What these studies fail to consider is what the child would be experiencing if he or she was not watching television. Engaged parent reading - better. Enraged parent yelling- maybe not.

Let me offer an example.

Today was a somewhat long day, the highlight of which was Abby departing from a play date with the words "I am never coming to your house again. Ever." This of course was said to the highly sensitive friend with a touch of social phobia.

Finally, it was the end of the day. All I wanted was to get dinner on the table. Both kids were under foot whining about various things. Abby had managed to run into things and injure herself multiple times. And did I mention Abby is also giving up her afternoon nap?

Insults were swirling around my head. Mean things. Things a mother should not say to children she loves. A verbal assault I know I would have regretted was on the very tip of my tongue when instead I headed over to the television and pressed the big red on button.

"Who wants to watch TV?" I said instead.

Two children screamed "ME!"

Blessed silence followed. An opportunity for sanity to return for all.

In this house, television is not evil. In this house, television is Mommy's little helper.

5 comments:

  1. I am nine months pregnant. My 2 year old watched THREE hours of television today. Well, the television was on for three hours and I rested. And honestly, everyone was much, much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank you!!

    i wanted to be "that" mom that didn't allow the tv until we found the age of two. but i folded. way early. and baby einstein is sooo mommy's little helper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend. Can I tell you how much TV we've consumed in this house over the last week and a half? With first a sick kid and then a sick mommy, A LOT.

    Ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about balance and moderation. You are so right. TV is NOT evil. It can be your best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this post was hysterical. I also fully agree with you. Sometimes I feel guilty about how much tv Paige watches, but at the same time, a crazy mother who is stressing out about what to entertain her with instead of the tv isn't great for her either. I fully agree with Corey - everything in moderation.

    ReplyDelete